Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Blue short-haired Kitten- Josie
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My young kitten (5 months old) Josie, has recently started having soft, stinky, unformed poo. Her poo has been normal and formed up until a few days ago. I've had her for a month. A week ago, I gave her Bravecto for fleas.

I thought her Royal Canin kitten canned food was to blame, so I switched her to Natural Balance yesterday. And starting two days ago, I also add a packet of Fortiflora to her food once a day. I keep her in the laundry room for now because it has tile floor, so I can clean up messes easier. Yesterday when I scooped the litter box, I noticed that she had no poops. Today there were some formed ones and some soft ones. So I think it's improving.

She doesn't like the Natural Balance kitten food because it is pate. She prefers little chunks, not big chunks. I thought about Merrick, but it, too, is pate. Any other ideas for what to try? Should I keep serving what we have and hope she gets used to it? I also free-feed Hill's Science Diet Indoor Kitten dry food. She also has a fresh bowl of water and drinks often.

I was reading about Bravecto and noticed that diarrhea is a side effect... could this be what started her issues?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Registered
For one thing, I think it would be best if you stop switching food so often because that could be causing this. And secondly, if this were my kitten I would take her to a vet as soon as I could get an appointment because this could be caused by any number of things, not just the food, and if it is something medical then she needs treatment. Best of luck

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I took her to the vet yesterday. They tested her stool for parasites and that was negative. They couldn't find anything wrong with her, so they sent her home with probiotics and a medication for stopping the diarrhea. At the vet, they gave her fluids in case she was dehydrated and something for vomiting.

So I still don't know what caused this. But the diarrhea stopped, so that's good. I haven't seen a normal stool yet, though. I won't totally relax until I see that... :-/

Btw, the diarrhea started a few days before I changed her food. The Royal Canin "baby cat" food gave her diarrhea, so I stopped that flavor but continued with other RC flavors. For a little while, the diarrhea cleared up and then it started back again, leading me to believe that RC canned foods just don't agree with her.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you for the kind reply! My kitty had a few normal bowel movements during the night, last night, but by morning they were runny again. The doctor told me to give the medication until she stops the diarrhea, so yesterday she only got one dose of it. So I gave her a dose this morning and will continue every 8 hours until they stop again.

I'm wondering if I should cook some plain chicken and mix it with pumpkin puree and feed only that to her until her system settles? Should I stop the dry cat food for awhile, too? I really suspect the food changes are what messed her up. :-( The dry food always stayed the same, but she was picky about the canned food (3oz once a day) so that was the only thing changing.

She doesn't cover the messy puddles in her litter box, so she tracks it on her paws!馃あ And it's super stinky! I have her in my laundry room with the door closed so she doesn't track mess everywhere through the house. I have to give her a bath often to clean her paws and tail, which she hates. But I can't just let it stay on her!

Registered
I don't know what will be best; they are all different. Some plain cooked chicken breast with white rice is what I usually give both dog and cat for upsets in the GI.
But who knows how it would work in this case....
As for dry food, I think it's probably better not feeding dry at all if you can get your cat to eat only canned, because it is much better for them. I also find that switching around among brands seems fine once the cat is fully grown but I don't do it with kittens when their systems are still forming.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took away her dry food this evening and will just feed her the chicken and pumpkin blend for a few days. Once her GI system settles, I鈥檒l slowly start to add in a high quality canned food.
I forgot kittens were so sensitive about food! 馃槵馃槵 It鈥檚 been a long time since I had one this young.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update on Josie:

we finally got the poo problems resolved! Through trial and error, I finally figured out that she is evidently allergic to grain and she鈥檚 fairly picky about what textures she will eat.

For the past couple weeks, she鈥檚 done very well on Solid Gold鈥檚 grain free/gluten free chicken and egg dry food and Wellness CORE canned food (no pat猫, no chunks鈥 shreds only 馃樀鈥嶐煉煓勷煠封嶁檧锔)

What a spoiled baby. 馃樆

1 - 7 of 7 Posts