Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I adopted a 5 month old orange and white tabby from a pet rescue shelter. The cat was abandoned approximately 2 month ago near a lumberyard. The lumberyard fed the kitty until the pet rescue unit picked up the cat. The cat has been altered and has one round of shots. I brought the kitty home last night and he was very affectionate in my lap, but the moment I put him on the ground he freaked out running all over the house and eventually hiding behind my TV cabinet. I let him rest there during the night and this morning I again held him in my lap and listened to him purr. However, once I put him on the ground the same habit of running behind the TV cabinet happens. The kitty is also not eating or drinking water. Any advice on how to warm him up to my place. Thanks.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hmmm, maybe start in the smallest room of the house...try sitting on the floor with him in your lap...see if you can get his attention with a toy or something and just make it seem like the floor is the best place in the world?! Some kitties just need time....I am sure it is a big adjustment for him since he was in a lumberyard before. Poor baby. Maybe he needs to be in one room for a few days with his food and water dish...I doubt he would starve himself. I hope this helps somehow :wink:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Sounds like things were a bit traumatic for him before you gave him a home. It may just take longer than with the average cat. Just be very sweet and take things slow. Like Jonsgirl said, a "safe room" is a good idea too. A small room where the kitten can get comfortable with his surroundings, with food, water, a litterbox and toys. Start to get your kitten feeling comfortable in that room and make him feel safest in there.

Poor little kitty. :(

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Poor little guy has been though a lot. I am so glad he now has a good home.
I too agree with the idea of a small room until he starts feeling comfortable. He is just getting used to his new surroundings. How wonderful that he is already being affectionate with you, that's a good sign! :D
Best of luck, I think it will just take a little time.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Stuff like this just takes time. Try the small room idea and keep his food and water in the small room as well. Trust me...cats will eat when thy're hungry!
I think that the fact that he loves when you show him affection is a sure sign he'll get over his new home jitterss.
:p Good Luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
New Kitty behaviour

When we got our Simba (6 mos. old), he hid behind the headboard of our bed for 4 full weeks. We confined him to our bedroom with litter in one corner and his food and water in the opposite corner. We spent a lot of time sitting on the bed talking to him.

After 28 days, as he started to run past me to get back to his hiding place my hand touched his head, he stopped, I kept talking to him gently and petting him. He finally relaxed enough to sit. When I had spent a bit of time just talking and petting, I picked him up and put him on the bed with me and kept petting and talking. It took another week before he would venture from the bedroom to the other levels in the house.

Now he is the most affectionate, loving, purring little animal you can imagine.

Unfortunately, he is currently in early recovery from liver failure. We are praying that he will come through. Our hearts will be broken if anything happens to him.

Just have lots of patience and love!

Simba's mom

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Our prayers are with Simba, poor kitty. Aaron, with time and love I'm sure your kitty will come around to be comfortable with his new home and will make a wonderful pet for you. Please keep us posted on his progress.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Perhaps you could provide him with a scratching post (a multi-level one, or one with a platform on the top) or a radiator bed - cats like to have a high-up refuge. It might help him to feel more at home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts