Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
We adopted a soon to be 8 year old Himalayan about a month ago. We had some inappropriate urinating the first week - but things have calmed down and have not had any since. She is very friendly! I have even been able to bathe her and blow dry her. She is affectionate and is trusting of me. She will come out during the evening when the dogs are kenneled for the night and will immediately show up when I get settled in bed. She loves to hang out with me in my room when I'm on the computer to get brushed and have some treats.

Now, to my question! She lived with multiple cats, and they also had a Pomeranian. I have four dogs myself, but she just does not seem to be coming around to them. I have brought her down to sit in my lap while they all met (they all love her), but as soon as I take my hands off her, she bolts back upstairs.

Can anyone let me know how I should be introducing Jazzi to the dogs? How long does it usually take in your experience for an older cat to adjust? I really want her to become comfortable enough with them so that she doesn't have to hide all day and can come hang out whenever she wants.

Thank you all so much!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but that's what I've been doing. She will not accept treats anywhere near the dogs, and is not very playful, so trying to play doesn't help, either. She doesn't seem to relax at all when I bring her down and will wait for the opportunity to run back upstairs. Luring her down is impossible - she's way too smart for that. However, she has no problem going down to the basement at night to where they are kenneled, or even hanging out on the main floor at night when they are put away.

I guess I figured she would have made some steps towards cohabiting with them by now. I just feel bad for her :(

·
Registered
716 Posts
Sounds like you have done Just about everything you can, sometimes these things just take time. She will come around on her own time.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Very pretty girl by the way!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much! We are her third and last home, so I just want her to feel safe and secure with all of us.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts