Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new kitty from a rescue place, she was giving a clean bill of health. We have had her about 5 days. She is about maybe 6 weeks old.
When we pick her up she cries, when she is in her box she cries.Is there anything I can do to make her transition much more easier for her?Normally kitties love affection, but I get the feeling she doesnt,. Thanx

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'd be surprised if she's only 6 weeks old. Kittens should stay with their mums until about 10-12 weeks, otherwise they miss out on all the skills their mum can pass on to them. 6 weeks seems very young to home a kitten, unless, of course, she doesn't have a mum.

Just give her lots of attention and cuddles and I'm sure she will feel at home. The important thing is to handle her A LOT while she is so young; otherwise, she will grow up with a fear of human contact, and that is the last thing you want.

I'm sure she will be fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I know she is a rescue kitty, and where I got her from, her mom wasnt there.So Im not quite sure, I love giving her attention, But I feel so bad when she is crying so I put her down.. And when we do put her down she runs from us.lol WHich is normally not common for little kittens. How can you tell how old she really is? They told me not over 6 weeks. But Im thinking maybe she is younger,

Thanx a bunch

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
You know how you can tell? *looks around and whispers..* send kitty to me ;)

A vet can give you a more accurate 'guess' of how old kitty is. How could you put a kitten down?? She wants loved, hugged and held... And to take up all your time! :lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol, NOOOOOOO, you cant have my little kitty,lol But I can let you have my kids and hubby?lol

She goes to the vet on the 6th. I want to hold her,But I dont like to hear her cry :cry: Its like leave me alone,,,,,,,,

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
You can't undo what has been done to her, but you might try using a stuffed animal with a bottle of kitten milk (not regular milk) fastened inside with a securely fastened piece of elastic. She needs her mommy and litter mates as well as your love. There is a Snuggle Kitty that you can buy online, or try to fashion your own.

If her eyes are still blue she's probably less than 5 weeks. She has not had enough nursing time regardless, and could end up being a cat who tries to suck on your arm or blankets. She really needs love. Check the Snuggle Kitty online and get some good ideas. (or buy one if you can afford it!) I wish pet stores and private parties would stop taking babies away from their mommies six weeks too soon! Please let us know how she comes along, and keep her warm, cozy, and well loved! ::))

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats just a terrific idea.. I will look into doing that for her.I do not think they took her away from her mom, This was a rescue place, where they take abondon an mistreated cats n kittens..... She is a calico, I dont think shes pure bred, but that doesnt matter to me...:)

We have named her hope.....

·
Registered
757 Posts
You'll be surprised how quick a kitten can warm up to their new owners. Like everyone said attention and love can do it. Good luck and let us know what’s happening! :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
I agree with everyone else here, the kitten needs love and attention. The poor thing was taken far too early and probably associates you as it's mother and therefore doesn't want you to leave him/her, even for a minute. I'm glad you took him/her in though, I had a similar experience except I had a really quiet, purring monster. :p. Good luck and I hope you can possibly get pictures up to show us? Jeanie had a good idea, I'd check into one of those 'replacement mothers.' Sorry I don't know what they are actually called. :oops: Again, best of luck! Have a great day.

- Randy

(edit) I changed 'her' to 'him/her' I have two females here so I'm used to the 'her' tag. ;) Does him/her have a name?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes her name Is Hope..... I am trying to be like a mother to her ,but sometimes,I not sure that is what she wants.Even when I hold her she still cries :cry: ... No one can quite tell me what she would be like at 5 or 6 weeks. I was looking in her mouth today, and her front teeth are really really small,,Like you could almost miss them if you dont look that close.
If she is that young why did the rescue place have her on kittyfood?ALos when Can I give her a bath, she smells like lots of kitty's:)

Thanx

·
Registered
78 Posts
When i found demi she was 5 weeks old and still had blue eyes!
She loved to be picked up...now a little less, but she don't mind if you do!
On the other hand Pebbles and Gizmo hated it when you'd pick them up when they were little and now still hate it! Don't know why?
Depends on the cat i guess? :roll: :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The kitty, has been doing better,, :) Atleast for the past few days till today. I have to work so I have a box for her. Now I only work part time so Im never gone for lon, maybe at the most 4 hours. Now she does this wailling cry..... When I Put her in it.....And today was the first time she got sick.Can a cat make then selves sick from crying????

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was just thinking that my self, Im gonna call the vet in the morning,, I was also holding her and her belly feels awefully large, not like a kitty's should,kinda like a ball,, poor little thing,

thanx

1 - 18 of 18 Posts