Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kitten Dudley has only one pupil that dialates. Just got home from work and noticed his eyes were distinctively different as far as pupil size goes. There doesn't seem to be any trauma to the eye so hoping that's a good sign. I'm scared and I want to know if anyone put there has had this happen!?!?!?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I know in humans that different sized pupils can be a symptom of a concussion or head trauma. Do you know if your kitty fell and konked his head recently?

Good luck with all this!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys, thanks for checking in on us. the vet at the ER clinic said Dudley was perfectly ok. she said that unequal pupil size can happen from time to time and is normal. since we brought him home last night we haven't noticed a difference since because they did go back to normal. i called our regular vet this morning and asked if i should bring him in and the nurse said that it could have been just a fluke kind of thing. i should however watch for it if it happens again along with other signs such as walking funny, falling over and other unusual behavior. he's eating fine, played when we got home last night and was up with my fiance this morning before he went to work wanting to play. all are good signs. it just creeped me looking down at him and seeing one giant pupil and the other one just open a little bit. we definitely are relieved he is ok.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I have noticed this in all four of my cats if one eye is facing a bright light and the other isn't. For example if only a lamp is on in a dark room and only one eye is near it. My geckos do it too, I think it's just adjusting to the light.

The first time it happened I freaked out, and almost went to the e vet. Luckily the kitty then moved into even light and the pupils changed back to 'normal', so no vet. But it was very odd!

Now anytime I notice this I always move them to an area with even lighting, wait for an adjustment period, then check. IMO if they were to stay odd for quite a while THEN I'd go to the vet.

I hope it was just nothing and your boy is fine!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts