Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

So I will keep this as short as I can to avoid you losing interest in it.

About a month ago we were sitting in our living room, when our cat (who is 15 years old in April) went from suddenly being fast asleep on the couch, to jumping off it and staggering around the floor - looking like she wasn't quite with us. The staggering seemed to be more in her back legs and she was leaning more to the right. No sooner had she started doing this, she then went into "panic mode" and started to run away really fast - but she still didn't seem "with us" so proceeded to bang into things. Very scary and upsetting for us to watch. Within a few minutes, she was sitting quietly (with very big black eyes) but seemed more with us and I was able to stroke and talk to her. After a few more minutes she just trotted into the room and had something to eat (no vomiting and no toilet troubles before or after this happened). I phoned the emergency vets as it was late on a Saturday night and they said they didn't seem it an emergency as such and it was decided we would just keep an eye on her and take her in the next day if she got any worse. As she was no different to her usual self we decided to just keep an eye on her and see if it happened again and if it did I would then take her to actually see the vet.

A month passed and she was absolutely herself - but we were in bed one night and I heard a commotion downstairs - and when I ran down to investigate I could tell she'd had a similar "episode" as she was sat quietly but looking quite unsettled. Bizarrely it was another Saturday night.

I took her to the vets on Monday where they checked her temperature (normal), took some bloods and listened to her heart. Her heart was beating faster than normal but we weren't sure if this was down to the fact she was at the vets. However, a slight murmur was detected and we decided to get her X-rayed so they could look at her heart.

Her bloods basically came back ok and the vet even said for her age, she was quite quite healthy. The X-ray revealed a slightly enlarged heart and she was prescribed Fortekor 2.5mg tablets which she has been on now for just over a week.

Upon taking her to the vet for a follow-up appointment, her heart rate has "dropped dramatically" and is "about normal" now so the tablets are working and she will now be on them permanently. The vet has said that this is "most likely" to be the cause of her having these episodes - but did say that we shouldn't be surprised if she does still have one here and there.

My reason for joining this Forum now (despite having consulted my vet) is that I think she had another of these episodes last night and I once again, saw her after the event - but it seems that this is something we are going to have to just accept is going to happen from time-to-time - but I wondered whether anyone else had ever heard of anything happen to a cat of theirs or someone who they know's cat.

(Our cat did have an episode like this just over 2.5 years ago or thereabouts which we put down to just a weird occurrence at the time in view she was absolutely fine and completely herself afterwards - the next one happening on the Saturday I have first mentioned above when she was sat next to me - hence my phoning the emergency vet).

Thank you for reading - I hope this did make some sort of sense (if I need to post it elsewhere on here, please let me know and I will cut and paste it there instead).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just a shot in the dark really but have you been using any new types of disinfectant around the house that might be causing an allergic reaction ? One of mine's had a similar reaction to Shake 'n' Vac on the carpet of a friends house !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and thank you so much for replying - unfortunately we haven't made any changes to anything around the house - I so wish we had.x

1 - 3 of 3 Posts