Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have come to the cat forum to gain some knowledge to make the best decision for my kitty who was diagnoised with Hyperthyroidism.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Heather.

Well I actually have 3 kitties. Frisco is a DSH buff neutered male, 14 years old. Gypsy is a DSH patch tabby (not sure of her age, she came as a stray about 4 years ago). Lastly is Pea Girl, who is a DSH solid blue-gray.

Pea is my indoor kitty. She has always been extremely thin. She is always hungry and drinks a lot. I took her into the vet this past Friday, and since I had been doing my own research, I was pretty sure I knew her diagonisi. Yes, she has Hyperthyroidism.

And her T4 is >27 ug/dL. WAY over normal. Vet wanted me to start her on 5mg Methimazole 2 x day. Also, gave me information on the radiotherapy.

I am torn about what to do. She is only 5. Vet said all her other labs are normal. But, my reseach tells me that may all change once she begins the meds.

I am hoping to be able to make the best decision for her.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Meet Pea-Girl:

Meet Frisco:

Gypsy - need to look for photos. I have moved many onto a flashdrive.

Thanks for looking.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
A few years ago I had a cat with hyperthyroidism. She was 14 when she was diagnosed and was also on the 5mg Methimazole 2 x day. I chose that as her only treatment because of her age. For a cat as young as yours maybe the radiotherapy might be the better option. Good luck with your Pea-Girl and welcome to the forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts