Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member intro, I live on 25 acres in rural deep east Texas piney woods. I own one outdoor male adult cat that has been "fixed". he is about 3 years old now. People constantly drop off stray cats on our property. Normally I can catch them in a live catch trap and relocate them somewhere far away but...I have 2 large black adult cats that refuse to leave and WILL NOT go into any of my live catch traps! Further more they have fought my cat so hard that he has a big tear in his shoulder and leg. I quit putting any food out except when my cat comes to the door but somehow he is still getting into fights!! How to I get rid of these other cats!!! Please help and thank you for allowing me on this forum. I'm desperate for answers! Flame

· Registered
30 Posts
New member intro, I live on 25 acres in rural deep east Texas piney woods. I own one outdoor male adult cat that has been "fixed". he is about 3 years old now. People constantly drop off stray cats on our property. Normally I can catch them in a live catch trap and relocate them somewhere far away but...I have 2 large black adult cats that refuse to leave and WILL NOT go into any of my live catch traps! Further more they have fought my cat so hard that he has a big tear in his shoulder and leg. I quit putting any food out except when my cat comes to the door but somehow he is still getting into fights!! How to I get rid of these other cats!!! Please help and thank you for allowing me on this forum. I'm desperate for answers! Flame
Thank you for introducing yourself to the forum. I understand that you are having trouble with stray cats on your property and that they are causing harm to your own cat. One solution you could try is to have your cat neutered or spayed. This can help reduce territorial behavior and decrease the likelihood of fights. Additionally, you could try using a repellent specifically designed for cats to deter them from your property. You could also try using a motion-activated sprinkler or ultrasonic device to frighten them away. However, please keep in mind that these are wild animals and it may be difficult to fully get rid of them. If all else fails, you may want to consider consulting with a local animal control organization for more advice.

· Registered
30 Posts
My cat has been fixed to not reproduce. he is a 3 year old male. I have 4 havahart traps set and have NOT been able to catch any of the big black cats I know are doing the harm.
I understand that you are having trouble catching the big black cats that are causing harm to your cat. It's possible that the cats are becoming trap-shy or are avoiding the traps for some reason. Here are a few things you can try:

1. Change the location of the traps: Try moving the traps to different areas of your property to see if the cats are more likely to be caught in a different location.
  2. Use a different bait: Try using different types of bait, such as fish or chicken, to see if the cats are more attracted to certain types of food.
  3. Cover the traps: Try covering the traps with a towel or blanket to create a more enclosed and comfortable space for the cats.
  4. Consider using a live cage trap: a live cage trap is a humane option and it's useful when trying to catch a specific cat, it will keep the cat contained without hurting it and then you can release it far away from your property.
  5. Consult with a professional: If you are still having trouble catching the cats, consider consulting with a local animal control organization or a wildlife rescue group for advice and assistance.
It's important to keep in mind that trapping and relocating wild animals is not always the best solution and it may not be legal in some areas. If you are unable to catch the cats or if it's not a legal option, you may want to consider other methods of deterring them from your property such as using repellents or consulting with a behaviorist.

· Registered
25 Posts
I suggest to call cat rescue groups in your area because then it the cats need to be relocated maybe they can put them in a colony where a caretaker feeds them. Sometimes when you relocate them they end of starving when they don’t know the area. It’s sad. Maybe you can keep your kitty indoors in a bedroom to keep it safe not only from them but other wildlife.

· Registered
3 Posts
Sorry to hear about your situation! I think the only way you can really guarantee that your cat won't get into any more fights, or put himself at risk to any other dangers, for that matter, is to bring him inside and only let him go outside when you can take him for leashed walks. There are just too many dangers to a cat's life for a cat to be truly safe living outside.

A large percentage of the people in my small town let their cats come into their houses and go outside on their own as they please. I get it; it's easier that way than to keep the cat indoors and only let them go outside when you can be there with them, but it's only easier this way until they discover their beloved pet's remains after it got eaten by a wild animal or hit by a car. And what if the cat isn't immediately killed by a car or a wild animal? You can't just let the cat suffer, so that means you'd have to rush him to the vet and there's an expensive vet bill for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts