Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
I don't have any cats myself - only a dog.
But I know someone who has 2 6-month old kittens. They've had them since about 6 weeks (I know - way too young to be away from mum).

They have both been fairly reliable with the litter box, but two days ago one got up from a bed and they noticed a puddle where she had been laying. She had peed on herself! The spot was about 6 inches in diameter. This behavior was repeated in a different area of the house, at a later time. So she's done it twice, that they know of.

Money IS an issue. I'm looking into low-cost spay/neuter programs and they will hopefully be spayed soon.

I know that this kitten needs to see a vet. But if anyone has any ideas as to what this might be, I'd welcome any responses. I don't think its a UTI because she doesn't appear to be in pain. It seems so unnatural for a cat to pee on herself.

Thanks so much...

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
The first question is....has anything changed? Brand of litter? Location of box etc? If yes, then I suggest going back to the previous situation and see what happens. Although I can't imagine a cat sitting in pee because of new litter, she would more likely just find a different place to go. I'm more inclined to think this is medical than behavioral.

If not, I don't think that you can rule out a UTI because the cat doesn't seem to be in pain. Cats hide pain extremely well, my Kobi had a UTI and he didn't appear to be in any pain at all.

When a cat that has previously consistently used a litterbox suddenly starts going outside the box, the first thing to look at is a urinary tract issue. Unless they made an obvious change, as mentioned above, I think a vet visit will be necessary.

Also, make sure that they clean the spots that were peed on with enzymatic cleaner...the bed and bedding will need to be really soaked to get at the entire amount of urine that was absorbed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much!

Nothing has changed recently. Same litter, same location.

I'll try to get a urine sample tested for a UTI.

Also, the beds that she peed on were human beds (lots of sheets) and so all were washed in hot water.

If you have any more questions that might help, feel free!

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Washing in hot water won't get the entire pee smell out of the sheets...an enzymatic cleaner is needed to break down the pee into it's chemical components so that the smell is eradicated. A cat that can smell pee in a spot may again use that spot because hey it was good enough once, why not again. A cleaner like Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution is needed.

The urine sample needs to be taken at the vets office, getting one at home will likely be contaminated or not fresh enough and will skew the results. I'm sorry if the cost of a vet visit is a hardship on your friends but this is part of pet ownership and they need to plan for it. I recommend that they start a vet fund for their kittens, even if they put $5 a week in it until they get up to $400-500. It's very easy to get a vet bill in that range. Or if their credit is good enough for them to get a credit card that is set aside for vet emergencies only.

BTW...welcome to the forum :lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again!

Well, the thing is that while they do like and care for these cats, they're not the biggest animal lovers. I think they kinda figured that they'd take care of themselves. When the cat started doing this, they kinda thought it was out of spite or something.

Since I'm a HUGE animal lover, they came to me for help. The first thing I said is that it's probably a medical problem.

They're tempted to just get rid of the kitten. They're a 6-person family that lives on about $20,000 per year. But honestly, if they give it to the shelter, it WILL be euthenized. There's simply too many homeless cats. They don't want to see that happen, but they're not monetarily prepared to deal with problems like this.
So thats why they came to me. And thats why I'm coming to you.
I can't really afford to pay for it either (I'm a student living on student loans) but I'll do what I can. I'll pick up the cleaner this week.

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
As I'm sure you know, pets don't take care of themselves. If these people not all that interested in them and are not in a position to care for them properly, I would much rather see them go to a shelter so they can be adopted by a family that will take care of them. Here's a link to a list of No Kill shelters, maybe there is one near you that can help out.

http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1147

BTW...you're a wonderful person for trying to help with this situation....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again - you've been very helpful.

I do have a no-kill humane society near me (I volunteer weekly) but they have a LONG waiting list for both dogs and cats. They're filled to the max.

The city-funded shelter kills a large percentage of their animals. If the kitten goes there, she probably won't make it out alive.

So I'm really trying to help the situation - I'd rather not see this kitten dead.

I know how you all feel - I wouldn't give up my dog for the world. She has her issues, but I love her more than words can say.

I'm still open to suggestions, if anyone wants to add anything.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
If the no-kill shelter won't take the kittens, perhaps you could find another home for them yourself? You could put ads in the paper or online or in vet offices, pet food stores etc. Interview the applicants to make sure they are going to a good home and be upfront about the possible UTI. There are goodhearted people out there who might give the kittens a chance. When I was a teenager, we got a pair of senior cats that way, from a couple whose daughter had severe allergies but didn't think the cats would make it through a shelter.

Otherwise, perhaps you could drive them to another no-kill shelter that is taking animals? It might take a few hours, but it would be worth it to know that they would stay alive and hopefully healthier than with your friends.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a bit of an update -

They kitten hasn't made any more messes (that they're aware of - they have free roam of the house, which sure doesn't help).

If the situation continues or gets worse and they do decide to give her up to the shelter, I'm going to talk to my landlord and see if I can take her in. I don't really think I'm prepared to take in another pet, but I'm sure it would be better for her to be here than in a shelter (or worse. :cry: )

Thanks again for all the replies :D

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
So, they are giving up only one? They don't think the other one will never have any medical problems and cost money? They need their shots and check ups. When you have pets, you WILL spend money on them, food, toys, medical..... If they can't take care of the one, they will not be able to take care of the other even if it is only one. They really don't need any pets at this time. Maybe in the future when they can aford it. I don't want to sound mean or uncaring, but like I said, owning a pet is a big comentment and it takes resposibility and money.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I just want to add that separating a pair of littermates will be stressful and confusing to them, probably leading to behavior problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
zippy96444 said:
So, they are giving up only one? They don't think the other one will never have any medical problems and cost money? They need their shots and check ups. When you have pets, you WILL spend money on them, food, toys, medical..... If they can't take care of the one, they will not be able to take care of the other even if it is only one. They really don't need any pets at this time. Maybe in the future when they can aford it. I don't want to sound mean or uncaring, but like I said, owning a pet is a big comentment and it takes resposibility and money.
I really don't think you sound mean or uncaring - quite the opposite actually. But you're preaching to the choir on this one. I'm all for responsible pet ownership, and I have spent thousands of dollars on my own dog.

But what they do is really not my choice. All I can do is help them to the best of my abilities, and if that doesn't work, I can prevent an innocent animal from being euthenized unnecessarily.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts