Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have two cats who are just over 2 years old, called Dacha and Kisa. I come here looking for advice with regards to a cat that uses our house. The cat flap is open all through the day and there are about 5 cats other than our own that come into the house to eat or sleep. Most of them aren't a real problem.

There's one, though, who is very violent, towards us but more importantly towards our cats. They're really frightened of him. He could do proper damage to a human so I can see why. He'll come into the house and go under something and refuse to move from there, and if you go near him, he'll attack, much more viciously than I've ever seen another cat attack, it's really bad. He then refuses to budge. I'm really allergic to him too. It requires thick oven gloves and a lot of time to get him out, and this is multiple times a day.

Any tips on what to do? My first instinct was to find the owner (don't know who it is) and talk to them, but I think it's quite a possibility that he is this way because of being mistreated, and I wouldn't want to tell his owners what he's up to if he is, because that won't do him any good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This may be ever-so-slightly ethically questionable if he has an owner, but I think you should try to trap him with a have-a-heart trap and get him neutered. At very least the vet will look him over to see if there is something causing him significant pain. Pain can make a already fractious cat really scary-mean.
You may also want to consider switching out the cat-door for a magnetized one that utilizes collars for only your cats. While most of your "visitors" are nice, there is no guarantee that one isn't harboring a disease that you or your cats can aquire. An open door is also a great way to get opossums, raccoons, etc. in your kitchen at night. That is a scary thing to wake up to.
Good luck to you and your kitties.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I agree with the electronic door thing.
One night, just as I was settling into bed, I heard some noises in the front room. I wasn't really worried, more curious as to what the cats were doing THIS time... I walk in, and it was a couple of raccoons trying to get into the cat food bin by the kitchen! I scared them out, of course.

Zazzle has started coming to the patio, and I sort of wish she would learn to use the cat flap. I would LOVE to have her as a pet, even if only as a visitor kind. Zinny goes out during the day, and comes in at night to sleep with me, and I love it!

(Note: my "cat flap" is really a hole that Xanthe ripped in the screen door, and I just don't have the money to get another door right now. Thank goodness it's starting to cool off, so I can start shutting the solid door at night....as soon as Zinny gets in, which is anywhere from 8pm to 3am >_< )

1 - 3 of 3 Posts