Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 cats, a senior male and a young adult male. I recently took in another young adult male cat.

My first 2 cats constantly harass and stalk the new cat. They attack him whenever possible and the fights are pretty serious. Right now, I am keeping the new cat in our basement. I bring him upstairs for a short while everyday only when I can be very close to stop attacks.

Should I just let them fight it out? Will they ever get along? It's been about 2 months now and doesn't seem to be improving.

Thanks for any help:blackcat

·
Premium Member
7,843 Posts
After a while, most cats work things out and agree to disagree and will somewhat peacefully cohabitate. I am assuming all cats are neutered? If not, that is probably a primary part of the problem.
I bought baby gates from a thrift store and stacked them one on top of another in a spare room doorway. That way the cats can see and smell each other but not get physical. After a couple days, put the resident cats in the room and let newbie explore around for a day or so, switch back and forth day after day (give it a week or so). If, after the reintroduction period the fighting continues, is physical and causes the fur to fly, then the possibility of rehoming needs to be considered. I would ignore growling or hissing, but physical fighting may mean more drastic measures, unfortunately. Not every cat is a good mix for a family of established cats. Best wishes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts