Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there everyone, my name is Amy and i'm new to this (and any other kind of forum for that matter - so please bear with me!)

I have had a cat for the last year, a small black domestic cat who is very happy and healthy and a very independent cat but on Christmas day (just 3 days ago) a small (what I assume is a kitten/young cat) turned up on my doorstep looking thin, frail and desperate for food. She was covered in ticks and had splinters in her paws and small scratches all over her body. After cleaning her up it was obvious she was desperate for affection - after showing her 2 minutes of fuss she has not left my side for 3 days but from observing her I am noticing a lot of strange behaviours that I think are pointing towards a health problem and am hoping to use this forum to find out more.

We have a family vet that has cared for all of our animals for years but is unfortunately away until next week and as she is eating and drinking and seems relatively content I am waiting until he returns to get her checked out - so until then if anyone would be kind enough to help i'd be really grateful...

Her symptoms include:

*Constant lethargy - she's very clingy and will stay by my side 24/7 but as soon as I stand still or sit down she flops down next to me and sleeps for england!

*Her Eyes - Very big and beautiful but often glaze over and look distant with no focus. You can snap her out of this and she'll focus again but shortly go back to glazing over then she falls asleep again!

*Breathing - Compared to my other cat she breaths very erratically, sometimes small sharp and quick, other times deep but quick - generally very quickly. I read that usually a resting cats breathing should be barely noticeable but this could not be further from the truth with this little one...

*When she's sleeping she twitches and chatters her teeth quite considerably and often will have her eyes half open with a milky gaze over them but is completely unconscious and floppy and in a very deep sleep.

*Her meow is very week and feeble - it really sounds ill.

On the other hand though, she is eating and drinking well, her toilet habits seem fine (she's litter trained and goes regularly) and purrs until the cows come home!! But for a kitten she doesn't want to play or do much but cuddle and sleep...

Anyway, sorry for the longest post ever but any help would be amazing as she's so beautiful and has obviously been neglected by her previous owners and I want to make her as comfortable and happy as I can...

Thank you,

Amy x

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
Welcome, Amy!

Others will have good advice for you on your questions, I just wanted to say that you should be keeping her separate from your other cat until she's checked out by your vet.

So sweet of you to take her in and care for her.

Black cats are very, very special. :grin:

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
You should be able to post everywhere now. Health & Nutrition would be the best place to post about this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts