Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to start off by asking questions... however I want to do a good job as a mod. Can someone please tell me what an IP address is, also what does split this topic mean?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Hopefully this helps, it defined it more clearly than I probably could.
http://www.sharpened.net/glossary/defin ... ?ipaddress

Also known as an "IP number" or simply an "IP," this is a code made up of numbers separated by three dots that identifies a particular computer on the Internet. Every computer, whether it be a Web server or the computer you're using right now, requires an IP address to connect to the Internet. For example, the IP address of everyone's favorite computer resource, Sharpened.net, is 209.123.247.45. The IP address of the computer I'm using right now is 66.72.98.236. Your Internet Service Provider (ISP), will assign you either a static IP address (which is always the same) or a dynamic IP address, (which changes everytime you log on). ISPs typically assign users a dynamic IP address each time they sign on because it reduces the number of IP addresses they must register. However, if you connect to the Internet through a network, it is more likely that you have a static IP address.

ISPs and organizations usually apply to the InterNIC for a range of IP addresses so that all their clients have similar addresses. There are three classes of IP address sets that can be registered: Class C, which consists of 255 IP addresses, class B, which contains 65,000 IP addresses, and class A, which includes hundreds of thousands of IP addresses. Because there are so many computers now connected to the Internet, the InterNIC is actually running out of IP addresses. Therefore, Class A and Class B address blocks are very hard, if not impossible, to get. Most large companies have to register multiple Class C addresses instead. To resolve this problem, the Internet Engineering Task Force, which created the original IP address standard, is working on a new protocol called "IP Next Generation" or "IPng."

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! That is alot of info. :wink: So why would we need to veiw a users IP address as a mod?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
One example would be to see if a troll was already someone that posted on the site. For instance, if I registered with a different name and started causing trouble you could find out it was me by looking at our IP addresses.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Padunk! I am glad you are around to help with all the technical stuff! It is my downfall that I am not very computer savy :?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Lilly said:
Thanks Padunk! I am glad you are around to help with all the technical stuff! It is my downfall that I am not very computer savy :?
Hehe, I've got some learning to do too. I'm not terribly familiar with the moderating on a phpBB forum. My experience is with infopop and vBulletin.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I'm not sure why, other than maybe some security issues that I'm unaware of. I think I like phpBB better than vBulletin both cosmetically and functionally.

·
Premium Member
28,610 Posts
It has much friendlier moderator features, he said. I think Dan is going to upgrade, but not to vBulletin. And you can keep record of birthdays, and have them come up automatically, just some nice features. I'm speaking as a computer illiterate person, but I've been a mod under both systems.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
the issue with going to vbulletin was converting this forums data. vbulletin didn’t have converters for this version of phpbb.

Phpbb will be coming out with a new version with a ton of features we are looking for. better mod features, sub-forums, and even stuff like b-days.

so right now we are waiting for the new version of phpbb. i’m not sure when it will be ready.

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
Do you have to pay for phpbb? my forum uses phpnuke, and from what i have seen it is very very similar to here, i havent seen full admin log in of phpbb forums, but so far everything else is the same, plus phpnuke is free.

When my site got up i struggled with a lot of the stuff, i found this site which is for phpbb2, even tho my site is nuke they are so alike i could use this. Not all of it will apply because a lot of it is about root admin, but it is helpful
http://www.hondaheaven.org/modules/PNph ... Guide.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts