Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! Yesteray I was lucky enough to rescue/adopt 2 gorgeous Scottish Folds that someone gave away on Craigslist. Both 4 years old and stunning. They are both healthy and spayed/neutered. Strictly indoors cats. I am unsure if shots are up to date so we will be making a vet visit soon. But I have some beginner questions.

1. Stress- of course the cats are very stressed. They had been with living the prior owner since they were kittens. But they had only been at their last house 1 month so had already been shedding like crazy from the stress. So they are in a new house again with new owners. Surprisingly they let me pet them, but they are hiding under my bathroom sink. One even ate a bit during the night. Other than giving it time and brushing, is there anything I can do to help them adapt quickly? They are very plush and fluffy but clumps of fur come right off with every stroke. I don't want the poor things to go bald!

2. I was told one of them by nature is extemely shy. Funny enough, he took to my husband right away, even rubbing up against him. And he's the one who ate! Maybe my hubby is a cat wisperer lol. Anyway, any tips for helping kitty shyness?

3. Lastly, how and when do I change their food? We only got them last night and the female hasn't even eaten yet. The previous owners gave them half a can each of publix sliced beef daily which isn't THAT bad on the label. But the bulk of their food was free eating all day long of hairball meow mix. Looking at the label....it's pretty bad. I was thinking about trying the wellness health one for hairballs (though rice is third ingredient on that one).

How do I switch them over and can I start immediately or wait awhile since they just got here? The boy is very prone to hairballs and with all this stress shedding, I'm worried! Plus I haven't been able to brush them since they are hiding under the sink. The most I can do is pet their heads and chin.

Any tips welcome!

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
1. Stress- of course the cats are very stressed. They had been with living the prior owner since they were kittens. But they had only been at their last house 1 month so had already been shedding like crazy from the stress. So they are in a new house again with new owners. Surprisingly they let me pet them, but they are hiding under my bathroom sink. One even ate a bit during the night. Other than giving it time and brushing, is there anything I can do to help them adapt quickly? They are very plush and fluffy but clumps of fur come right off with every stroke. I don't want the poor things to go bald!

Keep them confined to one room, preferably with a window they can see out of. When they feel comfortable they will explore the rest of your house on their own.

2. I was told one of them by nature is extemely shy. Funny enough, he took to my husband right away, even rubbing up against him. And he's the one who ate! Maybe my hubby is a cat wisperer lol. Anyway, any tips for helping kitty shyness?

Cats are always full of suprises!

3. Lastly, how and when do I change their food? We only got them last night and the female hasn't even eaten yet. The previous owners gave them half a can each of publix sliced beef daily which isn't THAT bad on the label. But the bulk of their food was free eating all day long of hairball meow mix. Looking at the label....it's pretty bad. I was thinking about trying the wellness health one for hairballs (though rice is third ingredient on that one).

Any food changes should be done gradually over several days to a week , adding in the new food slowly, to avoid any digestive or intestinal upset. I don't like free-feeding as you never know who's eating how much. Give them separate meals (am and pm).

Here's an excellent website on cat nutrition: http://www.catinfo.org/

How do I switch them over and can I start immediately or wait awhile since they just got here? The boy is very prone to hairballs and with all this stress shedding, I'm worried! Plus I haven't been able to brush them since they are hiding under the sink. The most I can do is pet their heads and chin.
All cats are shedding now, whether stressed or not, with the lengthening days of the Spring light that triggers the coat drop. Brush and comb them every day. Pull them out from under the sink and groom them on a counter top or table. It's easier to groom a cat at that height. Give treats after each grooming and cat will soon be looking forward to being groomed.

Any tips welcome![/QUOTE]

Hope to see pics soon of your lovely SFs.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Other than giving it time and brushing, is there anything I can do to help them adapt quickly? They are very plush and fluffy but clumps of fur come right off with every stroke. I don't want the poor things to go bald!
Most cats are shedding like crazy these days given the time of year. Add to that the stress and the poor diet and it doesn't surprise me that your two are shedding as they are. As for helping them to adapt quickly, time is your best friend...but you can try to see if you can interest them in play. Even just wiggling a piece of string or something simple like that.

Anyway, any tips for helping kitty shyness?
Both my girls are shy...Muffs in particular is a real "scaredy-cat". I've learned to let them set the pace. I've had my girls for almost 2 years now, but even today, I have to approach Muffs very slowly or she'll bolt. But, as long as I approach her slowly (no sudden movements) she's fine.

Lastly, how and when do I change their food?
If they're used to eating wet, then I would just try feeding them a good quality, grain-free wet food. Normally you can switch from one wet food to another without too much trouble. If you're trying to switch from one dry food to another, then I would do that over 3-4 days (25/75 new/old, then 50/50, then 75/25, then 100 new).

The boy is very prone to hairballs and with all this stress shedding, I'm worried! Plus I haven't been able to brush them since they are hiding under the sink. The most I can do is pet their heads and chin.
I would groom them as best you can right now, but if they get too upset, then I'd let them be, rather than adding any more stress. I think it's more important that they feel comfortable in their new surroundings. If they have a few hairballs, it's really nothing to worry about. You can try giving them a little hairball gel if you'd like.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you all. :)

The good news, they came out into the bedroom tonight, even with my 5 year old present. We pet them and they explored a bit. The girl took 2 bites of wet food so that's something. The boy ate more and then threw it up in my shower. :(

I've also noticed, his tail is getting very sparse. Most of the longer hairs are gone. Could stress make them go bald? At least they came out tho! I wish I could get them to drink.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Could we see photos? Long hairs are normal to be shed for spring/summer, but its hard to say without being able to see.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are short haired cats but he seems to have a shorter layer under if that makes any sense. If I can get a photo I will. He seems to be coming around so thats a good sign!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts