Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Stunning kitties! But um, Melina told me she wanted to come and live with me... and you wouldn't want her to be unhappy would you? Hand her over!! :D

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't be surprised if Melina said that, she's very adventurous! (She even has a tattoo in her ear!) :lol:

Melina was the first cat that I adopted as my own, when I got my own place. I've had her for 8 years (9 in May!) and she still acts just like she did the day I brought her home.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
You are so good at capturing great expressions in great settings. You should be a pet photographer!! I LOVE them. All of them!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Ooh, they're all gorgeous!

I could take them all home with me :wink: :lol: :lol:

Is Tyreal a British Shorthair Black Silver Tabby?

Carol xx

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They were all strays and rescues, so I honestly can't say much about their lineage!

Melina (my 12 year old tortie... she doesn't look her age to me!) was a lab cat at a community college in Upstate NY. Vet students would use her to practice giving vaccinations and other treatments. The "lab cats" came from a local humane society. At the end of each semester, they were put up for adoption and who were not dopted were euthanized. I adopted Melina and arranged for the adoption of three other cats during the semester that my friend attended classes there.

Martell (he's about 4 or 5) was adopted through PetsMart. I had rescued a white cat a few years earlier (the other cat, Martok, had been found in the street, hit by a snow plow. He had a broken pelvis and I had to nurse him back to health. I wanted to keep him, but he went to live with my ex because he was very close with my ex's cat. When I saw Martell (who already had his name and looked so much like Martok) I wanted to take him but I couldn't that day... I said that if he was still there when I drove down for more litter in two weeks I would take him. Sure enough, there he was, and he came home with me. I didn't know much about his history because he came from the SPCA and they would only say that he was a stray. I found out shortly after that about his crystals due to inappropriate urination, and assumed that was why he was on the streets... someone had tossed him out because of that. It took over a year to get the crystals under control (and a lot of $ spent at the vet!) but he has been crystal-free for almost a year! Martell is a very sweet boy and he sleeps in my arms every night!

Tabitha (who is about 11 years old) was rescued along with four other cats from a condemned building that was scheduled for demolition one winter. The owner had to move and was not allowed to take her cats with her. The cats were left in the apartment with no heat or lights, and were keeping warm by living inside an old mattress. All of these cats had fleas and ear mites, and although the were treated immediately, the damage had been done. Tabitha had scratched at her ear so much that she developed a hematoma (large blood clot) which required surgery. The vet was able to remove it, but that is why her ear looks crinkly.

Tyrael (who is 4 to 5) was found outside a laundromat when he was a kitten. He was very thin and full of ear mites and fleas. He was scared and hiding under the tire of a parked car. Someone brought him in to my vet's office for treatment and my vet asked if I wanted him. He was so sweet and so cute that I couldn't resist.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
morea said:
Thank you Jeanie! I do my best, I just wish that I could do more!
Looks like they all (the beautiful furrys) think you are doing just perfect!!!!
Me too they are gorgeous! :luv :luv :luv

·
Registered
284 Posts
They're all gorgeous cats, and you are an angel for making them part of your family.

None of my cats are rescues, but all 5 of my bunnies are. Would you believe I had to buy my dog (a Labrador), because none of the Rescue Centre's over here would allow me to adopt one of theirs because I worked full time.

I've grown up with Rescue dogs, and lost our family's 14 year old dog, the year after losing my mum and dad, which was terrible. My active, newly retired Aunty and Uncle care for my dog; Toby during the day, and I collect hime straight after work! So he's well loved and cared for, he just has an extended family. I find it really sad, that Rescue's over here can afford to be so particular, when there are so many poor dogs without loving families and homes.

Here's my boy, Toby:

Carol xx

·
Super Moderator
26,399 Posts
Toby is beautiful!

You couldn't adopt because you work full-time? So who gets to adopt? The unemployed?

Sorry - that's just so lame! :?

·
Registered
284 Posts
marie73 said:
Toby is beautiful!

You couldn't adopt because you work full-time? So who gets to adopt? The unemployed?

Sorry - that's just so lame! :?
Aww, thanks Marie! Honestly, over here, the rules are very, very tight! My vet said exactly the same as you, when I took Toby for his first innoculations! He said "You work, so you can afford the vet bills, and you told them you can afford to make adequate provision whilst you are at work, should there ever become a time when your Aunty & Uncle can't care for him during the day"!

I'm really not happy with the re-homing policies over here!

Carol xx

1 - 20 of 20 Posts