Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to building some shelves for my boys! I used the area of the room where the sliding patio door is and used a series of smaller shelves to get to a larger one on either side (each with a small pet bed) and a long one over the door. We spent most of super bowl sunday before the game started at the hardware store getting wood and brackets and fasteners. we did the big long one first and then one of the higher ones that they would be able to step onto from the long one. The bf wanted to see if they would like it so we put sammy on the shelf and he immediately laid down and slept there for a while. i was ecstatic! they love it! no more cats on the counter to get on my fridge! we quickly came across an issue though. the long board was too close to the ceiling for sammy to jump on to it from the lower one. we were using the laser pointer to try to entice him up and he ended up tripping (clumsiest cat i've ever seen lol), landed on the edge of the shelf and the whole thing came out of the wall and fell, cat and all. I left for a vacation but came back with renewed resolve! I spent a lot of the weekend getting new toggle bolts and running back to the store after realizing my drill bit was too small and getting everything put up. I finally succeeded! they have two high perches to either side of the sliding door with two small shelves as stepping stools. i haven't hung the middle one yet as it's too big for me to do myself.
and guess what! they won't use them!! lol i can't tell you how frustrated i am after all the effort and money that they still won't get up there. Sammy got on the fridge again despite the higher place in the living room. I put Alex on the top shelf and the poor thing didn't trust the step down so he jumped to the floor from six or seven feet high before i could catch him. *sigh* maybe some day! defeated by kitty contrariness. Once I get everything cleaned up from the construction and get the long one put up again at a more reasonable height, i'll post some pictures.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
We don't care about the clean up, we want pictures now! It sounds like a great set up.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha agreed. i'll take some tonight and get them posted. i can't seem to find anyone to come over and help me put up the long one which is kinda frustrating but i'll figure it out.
Sammy actually slept on the top one for about a half an hour last night! of course when he wanted to get down he didn't feel the next shelf was strong enough and jumped ALL the way to the floor *shakes head*

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
*Picture Heavy*

Better late than never!
Here are some pictures of the shelving setup. The funny thing is, it's Sammy who would frequently climb onto my fridge but Alex uses the shelves the most.

Tail!

Peek a boo!

Left side...

Right side...

Full set up!! there's a little shelving unit on the right side that they can use to get up on the shelves to that side. It's kinda wobbly which is why I think they don't use it that much.

so happy with how they turned out!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Too cool!

Do you find it unnerving to have cats staring down on you from above? Cats seem to like the tactical advantage that height gives. They give you the "panther-stare".

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lyle- haha Well, I'm kind of used to it as Alex stares ALL THE TIME so whether he's above or not I've gotten used to it

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Your shelves are an inspiration! Great job. Isn't it amazing how quickly they take to them? There's no instruction there. You turn around and they're on the highest level. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks!
Well that's the funnier part because mine actually took some coercion. Sammy would happily jump from the counter across a three foot expanse to the top of my fridge but I couldn't get him to jump the 18" from the small shelving unit to the bottom shelf. Or I would put them on the top and they would try out the next shelf down, decide it was terribly unsafe and jump to the floor from 6.5 to 7' in the air.
It was kind of funny though watching Alex trying to walk across the curtain beam before the middle shelf was up. I didn't want to startle him so he fell off and he ended up getting halfway across before i could get a step stool. and of course he proceeded to get stuck and just stood in the middle looking at me. "why aren't you getting me down?" He did this twice so I had to bribe our company carpenter to come and help me hang it so he didn't fall from ceiling height.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Lyle- haha Well, I'm kind of used to it as Alex stares ALL THE TIME so whether he's above or not I've gotten used to it
Look at that pic though. You can see it in their eyes "one good pounce from up here, a good neck bite, and I've got ' em".

For your own safety, don't get complacent. :D

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Look at that pic though. You can see it in their eyes "one good pounce from up here, a good neck bite, and I've got ' em".

For your own safety, don't get complacent. :D
Good point! Alex can be a little scary sometimes He was sitting on my lap just this evening completely stretched out on his side/back with his eyes closed but his tail was flipping like a crazy cat.

Absolutely loving the whole setup! I hope I can have such a nice set up for my kitty(s) when I move to a bigger place.
Thanks! I'm not looking forward to fixing the walls when I leave though. Thirty holes to putty!! ugh lol

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Nice job! I have something rather similar and my cats love it. We only had one mishap. The first few days we had them one of our cats fell off, but she's the goofy cat so if anyone was going to fall off, it would've been her. She learned very quickly to watch her footing a little more carefully and now they run across and scale the shelves like squirrels.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts