Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have 2 adorable torties. They are both 9 and from the same litter. I’ve had them since they were kittens and they have been the absolute best of friends this whole time. Recently, I have moved to a much bigger apartment. We used to live in a 1 bedroom apartment where the girls ruled. They were so happy and we spent a lot longer there because we knew what worked for them. Well, we couldn’t stay forever so we moved and now our cats personalities have changed. This is exactly what I feared.
LadyBug was normally shy and afraid of her own shadow But so loving and always wanting to cuddle. We were afraid she was going to hide and never come out. Well, turns out shes the brave one. She loves exploring and doesn’t mind going out onto our big deck. But she’s turned so mean. Since last night has started hissing and charging at our other cat, Dusty.
Dusty has always been more adventurous and curious. But now she basically lives under our bed. She was beginning to get more comfortable but LadyBug is becoming a bully.
Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. I just want both cats to be comfortable in their new home.
Thanks!

·
Registered
290 Posts
How long have you been in the new place?
My take on this is that it perhaps has not been very long. Cats take time to adjust to new environments, and it's likely that these issues will resolve in time, once they feel more comfortable and settled.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mosi! You’re right. We’ve been here around a month and my cats have never lived anywhere else. I know the transition takes time but it just makes me sad and I’m afraid that they won’t be as confident and happy as they were before.

·
Super Moderator
26,765 Posts
I've moved 4 times with my girls. It would have broken my heart if my twins all of a sudden had a problem with each other.

This trick is usually used when one cat comes back from the vet because they smell different. I would put a little bit of vanilla flavoring on a towel and rub it all over one cat and then the other. This way, they smell the same. Feed them some treats when they're together, if possible. They learn that being together can be a good thing.

It almost sounds like LadyBug may have seen something outside from the deck and acted out with some redirected aggression against Dusty. Hopefully this will pass.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts