Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning! I am a newbie here, and have came here out of desperation.

I have had my cat, Milo, for almost 2 years. He is extremely intelligent, knows his name and other brief commands, and is very friendly, people loving, and compassionate. He has been lilke my best friend. My friends joke around with me because they say he's more like a dog.

Anyway, the other day, one of my roommates let him out of the house. He was gone for almost 24 hours. He came back, I hugged him, he peed on me, and hissed. He had a small cut on his lip. He continued to hiss at everyone in the house, and ran under my bed.

It has been 48 hours, and he is still to come out from under there. Last night I was able to pet him, and brought some food up to him under the bed, and he ate, but he won't come out to eat.

I am really nervous, and besides taking him to the vet, don't know what to do. Is this normal behavior for an indoor cat that has gone outdoors? Is he just frightened?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I'm so sorry that your kitty is having such a difficult time. I don't have any behavioural advice to give, but I wanted to offer my support for you during such a heart-wrenching time. I can't imagine why he's reacting this way to being outside. He must have had a rough time. If you can get him to come out of under the bed, I'd say to take him to the vet ASAP. Has he had his rabies shots?? He probably did get into a fight or two while he was out if he has a cut on his mouth. Poor little one. Good luck in nursing him back to wellness. I hope he gets better soon.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
My cat did this when we moved. She hid under my bed for 3 days and hissed at everything that walked by. On the 4th day, I came home from work and she was roaming around like she owned the place. I bet he'll come around in his own time. If you don't see improvement in the next day or two, then maybe it's reason to get concerned but I wouldn't be jsut yet.

Though, I'm not sure how his lip looks, you may need to check that out.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I would call the vet at the very least. Are his shots up to date? I wouldn't try and force him out from under the bed. Just continue to offer him food and water. Be patient and see what happens.

Hopefully someone will be able to offer some better advice. I hope everything works out.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I bet he got freightened. He was out 24 hours, no food/water source, must have somehow got by, but you never know what happened. Away from you and EVERYTHING he knew [ I assume this is indoor only cat?].

Did you look for him? What happened overnight? Did you set out water/food dish? ... I bet there's more to this story.

Now, i'd suggest a LOT of TLC and a vet visit. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts