Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

My name is Josh and my girlfriend, Danny and I recently adopted a 6 month old kitten and her name is Nala! This is our first cat that we have owned on our own, as we were both raised with cats in the home.

We brought Nala home today and she seems to be adjusting to living with us very well. She has had quite the appetite, and has been extremely hungry for attention (which we have showered her with). We are looking forward to beginning a long journey of love with our beautiful kitten, Nala.

Some things about Danny and I:
I am an Insurance Agent with GEICO, and Danny is a Civilian Nuclear Engineer for the Navy. We both met in college at Old Dominion University and have acquired jobs in the same city to be together!

If you have any questions for us please feel free to ask!

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Welcome, Josh, Danny, and Nala! I also have a Nala, a name she had been given by the owner who surrendered her to the shelter.

Look forward to hearing more about your new kitten and her (mis)adventures. Photos always welcome. :)

·
Premium Member
7,855 Posts
Sheesh, Danny! A nuc?? - that makes you one smart cat momma!!! Welcome to the forum and ask as many questions as you ever need! Mistakes will happen but love covers a multitude of mistakes! And thank you for adopting from our shelter!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Delayed Response

Hello!

We are very sorry it has taken us so long to respond to this thread, but Nala has been dealing with a URI and Pink Eye. So as you can imagine we have been very busy with work and taking care of Nala! We are happy to say that she is on the up and up, each day she gets a little better and a little more playful.

I attached some pictures of our sick kitty!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Aww, she looks like a love bug there.

Welcome Josh, Danny and Nala! :catsm

Btw, lots of members here recommend l-lysine capsules (500 mg) powder form to cats with URI flares. It's an amino acid which helps strengthen their immune system, similar to those of us with the herpes virus (cold sores) who use it when we have a breakout. Hope Nala continues to get better!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the recommendation! We picked up a bottle of L-Lysine and we have started putting them in her food. She doesn't seem to mind having the powder in her food, phew!

The vet also gave an antibiotic, and eye drops...I look forward to Nala being better!

·
Premium Member
7,855 Posts
What a pretty, pretty girl!! I love her markings and her cute round face in the third pic above! As for the L-lysine, you can put a bit of water on it to dissolve the powder then mix the canned food with it. (You can buy the powder form from The Vitamin Shoppe at the corner of VB Blvd and Independence Rd.). It is odorless and tasteless but if not dissolved it might have a gritty texture when first mixed with canned food. I'm glad she has an appetite - loss of appetite is often a side effect of getting a URI.

It's rampant in the shelter and in my foster room but thankfully it is mostly harmless but the pink eye symptoms are a bit unnerving. I use a clean cloth moistened (actually pretty wet) with warm water several times a day to clean the eye gook and nose buggers out (sorry!). They like the feeling of the warm wet wash cloth on their faces so usually don't fight - maybe it reminds them of momma licking them.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Awww, what an adorable girl she is! I have a pic of my Celia sleeping, and if I put it next to the pic of Nala sleeping, I swear you wouldn't be able to tell them apart. But then I look at their faces and remember how individual each kitty is. Nala has an adorable little face. :)

I'm sorry to hear she's been sick. Poor baby. I hope she starts feeling better soon!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts