Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone ,
My name is Chris . I recently added 2 kittens to the family . I have never had cats before . And I dont know anything about cats other than what i have recently read through the internet . I have so many questions I dont even know where to begin .

I found the first kitten Chloe about 2-3 months ago in my backyard She is about 7 months old . I started giving her food through the window . Little by little she started coming inside and sleeping over . As it got colder i felt bad so i took her to the vet took care of her and she has been living inside for a lil over a month now .She was spayed a week ago . The first couple days she slept alot but now she is running aroung alot .
At first Chloe was shy but she came around and started following me and she became playful .I also live with my girlfriend . In the beginning Chloe was the same with us but she became much more attached to me and much less to my girlfriend . She never growled or hissed at us and she let us pick her up .
Cloe was always with other cats but she was the smallest . I thought she missed her friends and I would get another kitten for to play with . She does not seem to like that idea .
I adopted Joey , he is 10 months old . I had him for 2 days before she was spayed . The first 4 days all she did was growl then hiss at him and try to hit him if he got to close . I kept him in a room and took him out every once in a while and she would go in the room and sniff around . She started coming out less especially when my girlfriend is around .
Today I got them a second scratch post , i sat them down and gave them cookies then let them be . Chloe continued to hiss ,growl and swat at joey .. he seems to provoke her , he lunges at her she swats at him then runs away . She would then stalk him and lunge at him swat and run away . They continued to chase eachother like this for a few hours .A few times she got too aggressive and i made a noise and she backed off .After i gave them more cookies and i put them on a bed and they napped a few feet from eachother . Later they continued the same routine .
Im not sure if he thinks they are playing and she is stalking and attacking him or if it just looks bad cuz she is so much bigger than him and she is actually playing .yet she continues to growl . Im also noticing the last 2 days chloe doesnt want to really be touched by me or my girlfriend . We feel terrible having to lock him up at night and when were not around but we dont want joey to get hurt . We also dont want chloe to start hating us for trapping her then bring in another cat she doesnt know .
I apologize for the long post but we found this site and not really sure about alot of things and would greatly appreciate and advice and help we can get . thank you for reading this .
chris

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
It's not unusual for two cats to dislike each other at first. In fact, it's the norm. For that reason, it's a good idea to introduce them slowly, one sense at a time...first smell, then sound, then sight, etc. Below is a link to a good article that outlines the best way to introduce two cats.

Since you've had Joey for a week now, you can either start from scratch and follow the steps outlined in the article, which will involve initially separating the cats and then introducing them slowly. Alternatively, you can leave the cats together when you're around to supervise, as you're currently doing, but take a few "tips" from the article as to things you can do to get them to a point where they like each other. Which option you choose depends on which you're more comfortable with and how radical a change you've seen in Chloe since Joey arrived on the scene.

Finally, if Chloe is growling/hissing when she's chasing, then it's not play-fighting. However, a bit of growling or hissing is also not something to get too worried about, and it will typically subside over time.

Cat-to-Cat Introductions | Little Big Cat

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hello thank you for responding .
I keep them seperated at night and usually when i let him out she growls n hisses alot but today he came out of the room ran right up to her and she barely made a peep just a very lil growl . She continues to growl but the hissing has definately slowed down alot so i feel there making progress . as long as the progress continues i will feel positive about the situation .
Still she continues to not really want to be touched too much and kind of runs from my girlfriend .

·
Registered
763 Posts
Sounds like things are proceeding normally. It just takes time for cats to get used to one another.

I recommend you change one of the names. Joey and Chloe sound too much alike and can cause confusion between them. Chloe was there first, so I would call Joey something else.

Develop a routine of Interactive Play Time. This is when you get down on the floor at the same time every day, with interactive toys, and play with both cats. This helps create bonding between all of you, and allows the kittens to burn off some energy, and be together but focus on something besides one another.

Have a box full of toys that can be thrown, such as jingly balls, furry mice and junk mail envelopes (to crumple up and toss, cats love to watch the crumpling action and wait for the ball to be thrown ) Have a long-wanded string on a stick toy also.

If you do this at the same time every day they soon will come to know this is their Game time with you (and/or GF, especially your GF) You should see my cats gather round when they see me shut the computer and sit on the floor. :)

PS Congratulation on the rescue of Chloe! Being Chosen by a cat is a great Honor.

·
Registered
65 Posts
One thing that I've found helpful in acquainting new cats is to get a toy that has a long stick and a string with something like a feather on the end of it. The cats will probably take positions apart from each other, so take turns playing first with one and then the other, alternating frequently while the other watches. They seem to enjoy this, and by doing this, the toy gets the scent of the other cat on it, and they learn that pleasant things happen associated with that scent.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally, if Chloe is growling/hissing when she's chasing, then it's not play-fighting. However, a bit of growling or hissing is also not something to get too worried about, and it will typically subside over time.
If this is the case will the lil one realize she is not playing or does he not know the differance because he keeps going to her...

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
If this is the case will the lil one realize she is not playing or does he not know the differance because he keeps going to her...
Hissing is more often a sign of fear than a sign of aggression. Joey may know she's frightened but he might still want to play. Chloe, however, does not yet appear ready to play...but hopefully she will be soon!

I keep them seperated at night and usually when i let him out she growls n hisses alot
I would continue to separate them at night and when you're out for the next little while. Also, if possible, when you get up in the morning, get their food ready before you let Joey out. Then, when he comes out, feed the two of them together. Hopefully, the food will distract Chloe a bit, so she's not totally focused on Joey. Also, having "good things" (such as food) happen when they first meet each other in the morning will foster positive associations.

but today he came out of the room ran right up to her and she barely made a peep just a very lil growl . She continues to growl but the hissing has definately slowed down alot so i feel there making progress . as long as the progress continues i will feel positive about the situation .
It also sounds to me like you're slowly making progress...so you should feel positive about things! Given their young age, I suspect they'll be friends soon.

Still she continues to not really want to be touched too much and kind of runs from my girlfriend .
Introducing a new cat can be stressful for the resident cat...so it might take a little while before Chloe is back to her "old self". If you want, you can try a product called Feliway (available from PetSmart or similar stores). It's a natural pheromone product that helps with stress and often has a calming effect on cats. It doesn't work for all cats (I'd guess it's a 50/50 thing), but it might be worth a shot. It's a plug-in (like an air freshener). It helped my cat, Muffs, deal with stress when I first introduced Abby.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
You received some good suggestions. I agree with Susan a name change for Joey will help....sounds too similar to Chloe. Besides the interactive play with them together, always give them treats at the same time as close together as Chloe will tolerate. Give Chloe some extra one-on-one attention....groom her every day if she enjoys it and give her lots of petting and loving out of sight of "Joey". You want her to feel special and right now she doesn't, when she used to.

·
Registered
763 Posts
You received some good suggestions. I agree with Susan a name change for Joey will help....sounds too similar to Chloe. Besides the interactive play with them together, always give them treats at the same time as close together as Chloe will tolerate. Give Chloe some extra one-on-one attention....groom her every day if she enjoys it and give her lots of petting and loving out of sight of "Joey". You want her to feel special and right now she doesn't, when she used to.
Great tips!

( I was the one who suggested the names sound too much alike though. :))

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello
I just want to thank everyone for their responces
Yesterday went well
The hissing has just about stopped
She still growls somewhat but not half as much as before .
I have been giving them cookies always together , they sit about a foot apart and eat with no problems .
Chloe let joey drink from her bowl with no reaction .
And though he has his own litter he went in chloes and she did not react . They continue to chase eachother .
Though during the chases chloe will get on top of joey and it looks like she is biting him . He doesnt seem to get hurt because he does not run away .

How can I tell if she is playing or fighting ?

And I am considering the name change but chloe and joey just sounds sooo cute :smile:

Also is it safe for them to drink from the christmas tree water ?

·
Registered
763 Posts
It's playing. :) Even if you hear some hissing and growling, that is normal for cats playing.

Sounds like they've forgotten they ever didn't live together, well done!

No, do not let them drink the tree water, it is toxic, cover it up. Pine is toxic to cats, and many "fresh cut" trees are sprayed with fire retardants and preservatives, also toxic.

Pine needles can cut up their insides. Hope you don't have tinsel, (if you do, get rid of it!) and be mindful of ornament hooks and other dangers.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
It sounds like things are going very well. As for names, many say don't give two cats similar names, since it's hard for them to distinguish their own name. That said, many cats don't recognize/respond to their name in any event. My two don't. Or perhaps my two both think their name is "Treats", since when I say that, they both come running! :smile:

How can I tell if she is playing or fighting ?
If they're really fighting, you'll know it. There will be a LOT of noise, growling, screeching, etc. With play fighting, there is typically no noise at all. In the early days, if they're fighting with the odd growl or hiss, then they're still getting used to each other, but the odd growl or hiss is nothing to worry about...just make sure things don't get out of hand.

The other thing to watch for is who is chasing whom. With play fighting, you'll typically find the cats will alternate. So, sometimes Joey will chase Chloe and sometimes Chloe will chase Joey. It's time to get concerned if one cat is constantly chasing the other, and the cat being chased is constantly struggling to get away, often growling/hissing, and then hiding or showing other signs of stress thereafter. It doesn't sound like you're seeing that.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
My guys spend a significant amount of time like the first pic and an equally significant amount of time like the second :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello again .
It seems they chase eachother but joey has slowed with the chasing . I guess cuz chloe is bigger he always gets the worst of it .
Im so happy you guys think there playing though .
My girlfriend has been away this week so I hope things dont change once she comes home .
I dont really hear any noises when they play . Joey might meow a lil when she is on top biting him but he still does not run away .
I went out for an hour and left them alone for the first time . they seemed fine when i got back .
As far as sleeping together there not there yet . JOey has gone up to chloe when she was sleepin but she growls a lil and he lays a couple feet from her . I hope he does not give up trying . I would love to see them sleep together .
Thank you everyone again . I will continue to post updates for anyone who is interested

·
Registered
763 Posts
It sounds like things are going very well. As for names, many say don't give two cats similar names, since it's hard for them to distinguish their own name. That said, many cats don't recognize/respond to their name in any event. My two don't. Or perhaps my two both think their name is "Treats", since when I say that, they both come running! :smile:

t.
My cats all know their names, and their nicknames, and always respond. They also know each others names.

Names are important to cats, and if you don't give them the right name, they may not respond. I let my cats tell me their names, even if it takes a week or more.

Talking to cats, and using their names as much as possible helps them to know their names and respond to them. Even just going around at random times and touching, or just looking at, each cat, and speaking that cats name, many times a day. I do this, all the time. :)

If they're really fighting, you'll know it. There will be a LOT of noise, growling, screeching, etc. With play fighting, there is typically no noise at all. In the early days, if they're fighting with the odd growl or hiss, then they're still getting used to each other, but the odd growl or hiss is nothing to worry about...just make sure things don't get out of hand.

Not necessarily. Some of my cats are very noisy players. Squeaks, brrupts, meows, hisses, even growls. It's all part of the fun.

The other thing to watch for is who is chasing whom. With play fighting, you'll typically find the cats will alternate. So, sometimes Joey will chase Chloe and sometimes Chloe will chase Joey. It's time to get concerned if one cat is constantly chasing the other, and the cat being chased is constantly struggling to get away, often growling/hissing, and then hiding or showing other signs of stress thereafter. It doesn't sound like you're seeing that.
Very good point. I call that the Chase Me Chase You Game.:razz:

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Hello again .
It seems they chase eachother but joey has slowed with the chasing . I guess cuz chloe is bigger he always gets the worst of it .
Im so happy you guys think there playing though .
My girlfriend has been away this week so I hope things dont change once she comes home .
I dont really hear any noises when they play . Joey might meow a lil when she is on top biting him but he still does not run away .
I went out for an hour and left them alone for the first time . they seemed fine when i got back .
As far as sleeping together there not there yet . JOey has gone up to chloe when she was sleepin but she growls a lil and he lays a couple feet from her . I hope he does not give up trying . I would love to see them sleep together .
Thank you everyone again . I will continue to post updates for anyone who is interested
It sounds like all is going well. When your girlfriend gets home, perhaps she could be the one to feed the cats and give them their "cookies" (I like that phrase!). That way, they'll start to see her as the Food God, which should help. Do keep us updated. Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello everyone .
Yesterday went very well .
I did not see chloe hiss not once . Im so proud of her : o)
She also did not growl till bedtime .
I let joey roam free for the first time last night .
Usually chloe stays with me but she doesnt seem to wanna let joey sleep with her .
When joey comes next to her to sleep she growls and he backs off .
Tonight my girlfriend comes home so im looking forward to seeing how that goes .
Other than that everything is good : o)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello ...
So my girlfriend came home yesterday and eveything went pretty good . Chloe hid a lil at first but she came out after a while and even played with my girlfriend .
Unfortunately something happened to joeys leg . I noticed him limping a lil and licking it . We have no idea what happened to him . He may have twisted it on his scratch post , sometimes his nails get caught on it when hes hanging from it . I checked the area he was licking it looked ok and he didnt make noise when i touched it . He is still playing so we just hope hes ok .
heres the babies . chloe is the bigger black one

Attachments

·
Registered
763 Posts
Chloe is a tortoiseshell, not black :) she's beautiful and Joey is precious too. I hope he's okay but if he is still limping tomorrow do get him to the vet. And have them teach you how to trim their claws, to avoid such accidents.

I'm glad they are doing so well together. Soon you will be having Cat Piles, where they curl up together. That's the best!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts