Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum and I hope I can find some help. I have recently picked up a cat from a local shelter and she is 6 months old. She's very friendly but can't seem to adjust at all at her new home. I live in a condo so my place is not too big but she is really freaked out. I only picked her up a week ago so this might be too soon to be asking for some ideas but I don't like seeing her so scared. We have no other pets or any kids so that is not the problem. She's very cudly and happy when she's with us on the couch but once she's on the floor she runs and hides. She's eating and using the litter box so that's not a problem. She won't get up during the day to go explore she just sleeps. I'm sure it has not been enough time for her yet but I don't want to see her end up a very skiddish cat that when a door opens she runs and hides. If anyone has any ideas on making her feel more comfortable I could use the help. Thanks!

Julie

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hey there. I'm new here too and I think this is going to be a great place to read and post in.

I may can offer you a little advice for your scared kitty problem. A couple months ago we adopted a new kitty from some neighbors of my Mother's. This kitty had never had any human interaction and was scared to death of everything.

After quite an ordeal to catch her, (she was outdoors) we brought her home and waited to see how she acted. Now we do have other cats and all our cats are indoor cats. Well, this kitten was as scared of us as she could be. She was slightly scared of the other cats, but nothing like she was of us. It took her about 3 weeks before she began to get used to things and start to trust us. She stayed under the bed and only came out if she saw that we were far away, one move and she was back under the bed again.

I know that this is slightly different than your situation, but given time, I think your new kitty will become very comfy around your home. Some cats it just takes time. I was truly thinking that ours was never going to become comfy here. Now, over a couple months later, she is happy and comfortable around the home. She loves attention from my hubby and myself, though she is more inclined to be with me than anyone else. She also very much loves our other cats.

We have 6 cats and 2 ferrets here, so if my kitty came around with all this, I'm sure, given time, yours will too.

Lots of luck! :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Time + patience = trust

And trust is what you are trying to build. Let your kitty see that she can trust you and you will have a friend for life. Just be patient and try not to rush her into anything. If she wants to hide, let her hide until her fear subsides.

When she is ready, she will come to you. That's when you just need to be prepared to give her all this love that is swelliing up inside you. :wink:

I have had my kitty for a tick over 5 weeks and she is still getting used to things around her new empire, errr, I meant around the house. :lol: I wanted her to be my lap kitty on the very first day and I am still waiting for that to happen. But she shares her love with me in other ways and that suits me just fine. I am learning about her and she is learning about me.

As you can see, I am new here as well. Page back through some of the archived message threads and spend some time reading them. There is an enormous amount of helpful information to be digested. I hope you enjoy yourself here as much as I do. Don't hesitate to ask questions, becasue everybody is willing to help others.

Be sure and get some photos of your baby to share with us, whenever she is ready.

Peace,
Mike

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Julie,

I can really only echo what's being said: the best moves you can make are slow and passive. I don't know what kind of litter your cat came from, but remember this-they have a tiny window of opportunity as kittens to learn key social lessons-what's been called the key socail phase is between 2-8 weeks! Which means, if she missed out on any of those key weeks with mom or siblings, or had negative human interactions(or none at all), that impacts how long it will take her to trust you and her surroundings.

Find small things that please her-play can be a key element toward establishing trust if you can find a game that doesn't spook her. Otherwise, just sitting near her, reeading things aloud so she gets used to the sound of your voice without you making direct eye contact, passive moves, like I said, will, over time, give her a sense of greater security.
Remember also to always give her an escape route when sitting with her so she doesn't feel trapped.

Also, please visit our website (see signature) for articles helpful for a 1st time cat person, and info on flower essences.

Welcome!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts