Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
ive been lerking around here for a while now, reading on all sorts of topics.
my hats off you all of you for having such a wonderful informative forum.

ive learned so much during the course of my reading, and my 2 kitties thank you kindly....

right now i have 2 shelter kitties Shadow - a 7 year old grey female, she is the brains of the outfit... she is one of the smartest cats ive ever layed eyes on...
and Issac - a 4 year old male tabby, hes the muscle of the group... he may not be the sharpest pencil in the box, but he make up for it in love. hes the sweetest thing... a purring machine! not to mention hes ENORMOUS... hes just a tad bit overweight, but he really is big boned...
hes the size of a small dog....

these are the 1st cats we have ever owned, i guess we got really lucky because they have been perfect pets, no issues what so ever.

i finally decided to register here because we have a little one on the way.
im sure everyone here agrees that 2 kitties is just not enuff :)
so we decided to purchase a bengal kitten...
hanzo the bengal kitten is 9 weeks old, and coming home with us this saturday.

since we have never raised a kitten before, this forum will be indispensible to us....

here are some photos of Hanzo when he was 5 or 6 weeks old.....
im sorry, but i dont have any photos of issac or shadow on my computer right now.... i will post some as soon as i can! :)

[hyp]

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Welcome to the forum, first of all!

What a darling cute kitten! :) :) :)

I'm also waiting for our kittens to come home (they are almost 10 weeks now) and it was so long time ago I had a kitten so I'm a newbie when it comes to kittens as well.

This forum is grrrrrrrreat as Tony the Tiger would say! :D

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Welcome to Cat Forum! The kitten is cute indeed, I hope you get pictures of your other 2 soon *hint, hint*

·
Registered
175 Posts
Welcome,I'm new myself!!! The pictures of your cat are precious! Hard to stop with a couple cats isn't it?!!!!! My husband said two would be fine, then he enjoyed them so much and then three,four and soon to be five! I promised to stop at five (I promised at three too! :D ) My cats are shelter cats but one day I would love to have a Maine coon (so maybe 6 cats!!!!) I think 5 may be my limit, I guess I want to be able to give them each ALOT of loving---easy to do, isn't it?!!! Enjoy your babys from one Newbie to another in the Forum!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the friendly welcome!

id love to get more pics, buy my computer is on the fritz
so its not accepting my digi cam right now....
the pics of the kitten were from the breeder..

issac and shadow thank everyone here, because of this great forum, they are now eating wellness and nutro wet food, and chicken soup dried :)
they also got one of those fancy water foutains today....

spoiled spoiled kitties ;)
nothing but the best for them :)
they were eating iams before, i thought it was the best... but now i see the err in my ways...

thanks everyone!!

[hyp]

·
Registered
552 Posts
Howdy, [hyp], and welcome to the Cat Forum. Glad to see you decided to go ahead and register. There are so many wonderful people here (I aspire to become one of them, actually) and so much to learn, as well. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Peace,
Mike

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Hi, hyp! Welcome! Your kitten is beautiful. I'm sure you're anxious for Saturday to come. I'm so glad you have found the forum helpful. Pleasel share your experiences with us! Isn't it great to be kitty parents? Kittens are so much fun!

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Welcome to the forum! And yes you have a really cute kitten there. I must say there has been a lot of bengal owners appearing recently though..... :wink:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think i know why the bengal breed has been taking off recently..

they are AMAZING CATS!! :eek:

i fell in love when them a few years back just from hearing about them from a friend, then i read a few descriptions about them, and saw a few pictures, and that sealed the deal!

a year or 2 passed, and i found myself in the situation where i could afford a bengal, so i went for it....

1 trip to the breeder was all it took....
after about 10 min of playing with some of the kitties she had in the house i placed my order...

now im just countin the hours till saturday :)

[hyp]

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BoscosMum said:
Are Bengal cats larger than regular domestic cats? :)
i belive they are the same size, perhaps slightly larger....
my other 2 kitties are not very good to judge by because one is pretty small, and the other is REALLY LARGE.

they seem to have a bit more muscle than domestic kitties....
athletic looking is the best term i can think of....

[hyp]

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE!

So i finally brought kitty home today, a few hours ago infact.....
hes so much better looking than in the pictures!!!

too bad i only got to see him for about 10 min...
i placed his carrier in a small room with a litter box and food + water....
i took him out of his carrier to show him the litter box, and he promptly scurried under the futon...
where he has remained ever since....

i figured ill leave him alone for a few hours and check up on him periodically....

should i be spending my time sitting quietly in the room with him?
or will it be easier for him to adjust by being alone?

on a side note, my female kitty shadow slipped into the room when he was out of the carrier, the second he went under the futon she scrambled after him....
i was so worried, but it seemed like she was just sniffing him and checking him out....
i seperated her anyways and made sure the door was shut this time :?
its was a very breif accidental introduction, but all went well....
i hope the next FORMAL introduction goes as well :)

[hyp]

·
Registered
552 Posts
Congratulations on getting your new furbaby home!

It probably won't hurt to keep the furkids separated for a bit, just until your new baby can get used to his new surroundings.

As for you, I would suggest going into the room (take some treats, just in case) and sitting down to read aloud. Let your new baby get used to you and your voice. If he wants to poke his head out and join you, give him some treats. It won't take him long to associate you with the "good things" in life. :wink:

I bet we can get an expert in here... HEY JEANIE, can you c'mere a sec? What are your thoughts on the vanilla trick, here? (Sorry I yelled so loud, I forgot that you would be right here to check out the new kitty :wink: )

Keep us updated on how things are going, Hyp.

Peace,
Mike

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
few hours later

well i just woke up from a little nap, and went to check up on him...

hes still curled up in the corner under the futon....

i wish i could get him back into the carrier because theres a nice blanket in there he could rest on... plus i would be able to get to him if i had to....

it seems he found the 1 spot i cannot get to...
not that i have been trying to grab him or anything.....

he seems a little less disturbed than before... but i dont forsee him coming out from his spot anytime soon...

its so sad.. he cried the whole way home, but he has not made a peep since he got here..

man i feel like a just had a baby or something, im all worried about him....
every minute feels like an hour :p

[hyp]

·
Registered
552 Posts
You just need to be p-a-t-i-e-n-t, that's all. The little guy has to be able to trust you before he will be your lap kitty. Try to relax (I know, that's hard to do, isn't it?) and let time run its course.

Angel dove under my dresser when I brought her home. Didn't see her all evening. The next morning, she had taken up residence in my bedroom closet. She was using her litterbox and eating her food, but out of my sight. She would allow me to come in and sit with her and she would take treats from me, but she wasn't budging. The second evening she was CAUTIOUSLY checking out her new home, but the closet was her safe zone. Within a week, she was settling in. Even now, four months later, if she gets hincky, she heads for the closet.

Let you new baby have his safe zone and he will be OK. As I mentioned above, just sit with him and read to him. He will warm up to you, sooner than you know it.

Peace,
Mike

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
brave little trooper!!!

sooner than i expected indeed!!!

i followed your advice and took a book and started reading out loud...
about 45 min passed when i noticed he was shifting about so i offered him a treat....

there was somthing diffrent about his eyes this time, he was still fearful, but somewhat interested in this hand approaching him....
he did not take the treat, but it seemed to spark something inside him...
slowly and carefully he made his way out from under the futon...
checked out the litter box, then ran back....

a few min later, he did the same, this time venturing a litter further...
then back to the litter box, use the bathroom!! then back under the futon...
a few min later he made a few laps around the room!!!

finally he stopped under the dresser...
again i offered my hand to him....
he started purring loudly (probably trying to calm himself)
then, he got this look on his face like he was taking a huge gamble, and came out from under the dresser... he immeadeatly started nuzzling me and showering me with affection!!!!!!

im SOOOOO happy right now....
he even started mewing again.....

now, hes still very cautious... but his fear of me is diminishing rapidly!!!
he was even playing with one of the toys i brought him!!

such a brave little trooper! i guess his breeder was right when she said he was very confident and independent... its been less than 5 hours since ive brought him home!!!

thanks so much for the advice!!

[hyp]

1 - 20 of 36 Posts