Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks mostly to Auntie Crazy and others on this forum I've begun paying more attention to my cats diet. Left to their own devices, all 6 cats under my care would eat Friskies and MeowMix. The 4 outdoor cats seem to be ok with it. I suppose they are supplementing with whatever they can catch. The two indoor cats are becoming a little the worse for their diet.

There are some great resources locally. One of the benefits of living in an urban area. In particular there is a small feed store that stocks darn near anything I've heard of, including, but not limited to, "Instinct" frozen raw food at a reasonable price. The owners seem quite knowledgable about feeding as well.

Maybe I've been throwing too much at the cats too soon, but everyone seems to have a different preference. It would be much easier logistically if I could find some combination of one brand and type of frozen raw, canned and dry that would please everyone. Chicken seems one obvious choice. My stray cat Squiggy is a rabbit junky. No body seems very fond of beef or the exotic seafoods.

I don't know enough about what I'm doing right now to have any questions, but if anyone has any hints based on their experience it might save me some time sorting all this out.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I understand. When I started raw, I was also in the same boat. You'll start having questions later on.

I am lucky in that my two cats have absolutely no qualms about eating anything be it raw, wet, dry or any flavor. They eat anything I put in front of them and they don't appear to have favorites. Perhaps it's because I rotate their meals for variety and nutrition so they're used to it. They get a different meat between meals and also daily between chicken, beef, quail, duck, rabbit, lamb, venison. I feed them Nature's Variety Instinct wet for breakfast, then raw quail with beef or chicken for dinner, then a dry snack before bed.

If you decide to go full raw, then you can also opt to go to the Asian markets for cheaper prices. As opposed to the ground up raw food found at the pet store, you'll have to do more work to cut it up and portion them. I butcher once a week and store each meal in its own box in the freezer. In the mornings, I just take out the 3 boxes for the 2 cats and 1 dog to defrost in the fridge for dinner.

Since you got so many and they happen to be fussy, you'll have to experiment to find the combination. Good luck!

Anyways, feel free to ask when you have some questions! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts