Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
I am 22 and live in London. 3 months ago my boyfriend and i found a little ginger kitten in our bins, we put up "found" posters in the area but no one has responded so we have decided to keep him. He's the first cat we've had, he is very affectionate and likes to follow us everywhere, lick us and mews loudly whenever we aren't giving him attention. He's a very happy and spoiled cat, the only problem is litter training sometimes he uses the box, sometimes not. I've read just about everything on the subject available on the internet and consulted a vet. We are willing to try anything now and any advice would be very much appreciated!

thanks
Hayley

·
Registered
53 Posts
Welcome to the forum primitivo! Unfortunatly I have no experience with litter box training as my cat came trained, however there are a ton of very friendly people here that Im sure have lots of ideas. You can also try seraching through the forum search bar at the top right of the page and see other posts where people have discussed similar issues. They may be helpful while you wait for someone to give you advice to your specific situation!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Hi and welcome! Congratulations on your new kitty.

A few points in response to your question...it's not clear if this is a case of your kitten needing to be trained to use the box, or something else. If he simply needs training, then I'd limit his access to one room (a "safe room") with a litter box and all of the other things he will need (food, water, toys, etc.) until he's trained to use the box. If he's very young (less than a few months), then you might have to put him in the box a few times to give him the general idea.

However, it might also be that he's already trained to use the box, yet doesn't from time to time. Potential reasons for that behavior include:

a) whether he's peeing or spraying outside of the box. Has he been neutered? If not, and assuming he's more than a few months old at this point, that would be a good first step.

b) alternatively, there might be issues with the litter box itself (type of box, type of litter, etc.). Here's a good article discussing such issues. The Litter Box From Your Cat's Point of View by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: Litter box management, types of cat litter, feline house soiling, inappropriate elimination

1 - 4 of 4 Posts