Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

My name is Jasmine and my husband and I recently bought a thoroughbred race horse breeding farm outside of Lexington, KY. When we purchased the farm we left the previous owner as manager and all the workers who also lived on the property in various small homes.

The property is a few hundred acres with 4 large barns. In each barn are a few "barn cats" that are all altered, most of which are rescues. But in the manager's house she had an orange tabby that was the one "producing" cat on the property. And with her was a litter of 5.

The manager, who has owned the property for 25 years before we purchased it, said they often adopt cats or allow wandering strays to stay and all get altered except for a single female they'll allow to have kittens on occasion to help keep the population of cats relatively young and steady.

The cats are invaluable at their jobs... great mousers and killers of other pests in the barns and fields. And all are very sweet and affectionate to anyone and everyone who shows them any kind of attention. True sweethearts.

So as I was getting the story about why this one cat is allowed to have kittens, she mentioned this would be her last litter since she was aging and one of the females from this litter would take her place and that I should pick.

There is a cute little tortie who is **** on wheels. I figured she should be altered and go out to do some hunting since she was being very effective chasing down anything and everything that moved in the house. There was a bulls eye orange tabby bobtail who was sweet but a little more shy. And a beautifully marked calico who proceeded to jump in my lap and demand attention.

When the manager told me this one's nickname since she could walk was "Princess Diva", I knew she was my girl!

So I take Miss Princess Diva back to the main house and proceed to introduce her to some of my dogs (Australian Shepherds). And after a quick name change to Greeley (the hubby refused to call her Princess Diva), she settled right in.

Boy is she a confident, noisy little thing! She's already got me wrapped around her finger (paw?).

Since this is my first cat and I've always been a dog person, the first few days have been a learning experience. Last night she was up exploring, the whole time loudly meowing, from midnight to about 6 am. One of the dogs kept her company, following her the entire time from room to room. She'd also proceed to jump on the bed every 20 minutes and rub my face with her and then jump right off and continue on her noisy exploration.

Since she will be allowed to have one or two litters in the future, but will always remain an indoor cat and my "pet", I thought it would be a great opportunity to join a community of cat owners and absorb as much info as possible.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Welcome! I'm sure you will get some helpful advice here. Congratulations on your first cat! It will a rewarding experience for both of you!

I would question allowing any of the cats to have litters, though if there are other strays that wander in and are allowed to stay. Knowing nothing about your situation, how many barn cats does one need?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Congratulations on your first cat! They are a joy but can be a bit trying too. Especially if one gets spoiled like my Tuffster -ha! He's spoiled - he knows it and knows he can get away with it. But one look at his cute lil face and I can't say no!

I just got my second little kitten about a week ago - Miss Molly - she is adorable!

Good luck to you and your new one!

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
Welcome to Cat Forum. There are horse / cat people on here too! Were happy youve come to be a part of the forum. You will learn a lot on here. I know I did when I joined. There is a feral section on cat forum youd enjoy also.

Your new digs sound wonderful. Plus your new kitty is quiet a personality. What fun you are going to have with her. any pictures for us to enjoy

May I suggest you get all cats spayed or neutered. TNR (Trap, neuter, return) groups are always looking for barns and farm which could take feral and semi feral cats which must be moved from dangerous locations. Your farm sounds perfect solution to a hard situation. You dont need to suppliment your population. So many groups are looking for a safe place for certain cats which need to be moved

Our little TNR group is always trying to find barns for cats in diffacult situations we cant leave where they are. Most colonies we s/n, vaccinate and then feed/water the colony. We only move as a last resort.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Well if you think she's loud now wait till she goes into heat.

There are billions of available cats. I'd have her fixed and adopt kittens from a shelter

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
when i saw "greeley" i thought, "oh good, someone else in colorado."

but hi even though you're not lol.

(bet you wish you'd never said you're going to let your cat have kittens HAHA)

she sounds adorable.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Well if you think she's loud now wait till she goes into heat.

There are billions of available cats. I'd have her fixed and adopt kittens from a shelter
Many shelters make you promise that you will keep the cat indoors. This may not be an issue in more rural areas, but I looked over quite a few adoption applications before I found my kitten and that was a prerequisite on all of them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts