Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just became the mommy to a 5 week old tom kitten. He is adorable, but sooo tiny! I have named him 'noodle'

The story is that I replied to an ad on our local Gumtree advertising site looking for homes for 3 kittens. After phoning the young lady she informed me that the kittens had been deserted by the mother cat and she had handraised them.

Anyway long story short, I get handed the kitten today and only to discover it is only 5 weeks old!! She says he is starting to eat dry catfood and she gives him baby formula. She also told me that he toilets himself. She leaves me with a final comment..'i know he's premature, but i tried my best' ok so i leave with this small bag of bones.

Later i see he can't lap, definitely cannot chew dry cat food! Anyway I have bought a pet feeding bottle and baby formula etc and after a few accidents, the kitten has toiletted itself once.

My real question, is that the genitals look raw and pronounced. Should this be the case in a hand-reared kitten?

I will appreciate any advice given

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update to my first post

Noodle passed away last evening. He had feline leukaemia, according to the vet. He died on the vet's table last night. I nursed him for 2 days and there was nothing else I or the vet could do. He was just too little and too weak to survive. He was only 5 weeks old and had never had the nourishment of the mother-cat's milk.

Just wanted to let everyone know.

I will stay on the forum, as I plan to get another kitty next year!

·
Super Moderator
26,806 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. At least Noodle was cared for and loved by you during his short little life.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss of Noodle. When you feel sad about him, try to remember
that he was given love and caring in your home for part of his short life that he
would not have had if you hadn't opened up your heart to him. :heart

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
so sorry for your loss, your actions and caring make you all that more deserving of a healthy happy kitten...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to everyone for those caring comments. I can't bear to even look back at all the pics that I took of him during that time...

The kids want to get me another kitten from the animal shelter but I have asked them to wait until I am ready.

Hubby took all noodle's things before I got up the morning after he died, and put them away, so I didn't have the reminders.

I was a fool though to think that a kitten in those circumstances would survive. The vet said he looked more 3 weeks than 5weeks old.

I will post a pic of him.

Thanks and regards, MaNoodle

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,806 Posts
Oh, he was adorable! I can see why you couldn't say no.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts