Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name's Angie, and we live near Madison, WI. "We" is my husband, 10 year old son, and myself...and our menagerie of animals.

We have horses, donkeys, chickens, cats, a fish and a dog.
a 26 year old Arabian mare
a yearling Norwegian Fjord filly
13 year old Quarter Horse

We also have a miniature horse, a small pony, and three miniature donkeys. We have 9 rhode island red and black australorp chickens, my son's betta fish "Spike," and a great 3 month old blue merle australian shepherd.

We are a two cat home, unfortunately...we recently lost our 13 year old, who had lymphoma, but we have two others, Taz and Sam. I have had my share of cat troubles through the years.... one with hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver), whom I lost, a diabetic cat I eventually lost, and most recently the lymphoma kitty. I joined to learn more about cat nutrition...I'm planning on switching foods.

Angie

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi - what a family you have! I think you will like it here. We just got adopted by a 10.5 year old kitty and she was eating friskies. I learned from this forum that cats aren't good at digesting grains. So we are in the process of switching over to "BG 96% chicken". I liked their website. They have a video that tells the story of how they make their chow. So anyways I look forward to hearing about your furry friends.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OMG, your "Kitty" is beautiful! But putting your words together, he/she isn't with you anymore Chuck...sorry. It's SO hard to lose them... hard to believe my Icabod has been gone for over a month now...

Yeah, I'm doing LOTS of feline nutrition research, and will be posting on that board very soon! I'm glad to have found such an active kitty group!

We do have quite the family! I've had horses for almost 30 years, and have had kitties all of my life. And our pup...what a good boy he is.... no offense to him, but I tell people "I'm a cat person who happens to have a dog!" I love him too...but my kitties are my heart!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ya, I'm prejudiced of course, but to me she was one of the most beautiful cats I'd ever seen. We lost her to cancer almost a month ago. She was only 5 or 6 years old and we only had her 4-5 months. She was a Norwegian Forest cat. Athletic as heck. The loudest purr I have ever heard. Lap cat.

I don't want to be a "Debbie the downer", but I am so bummed out. Hanging out here with other cat people has helped a lot though. We also adopted a 10.5 year-old little white kitty. She is another unique soul. She is a charmer in her own way.

I'm sorry to hear you lost a member of your family recently, also. Anyhow, I hope you like it here as much as I have. And, oh ya, the BG stands for "Before Grain".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have not heard of a Norwegian Forest cat, but she was beautiful! I feel like my luck with kitties is just not good. We had four in the house at one time.... but in the past 10 years or so, we've lost one to fatty liver (stress after surgery kept him from eating), then one with diabetes, lymphoma, and now I have one who is so constipated I sometimes have to take him into the vet to be put under and "cleaned out." It's expensive! I'm feeling like it may be the food....he's a big water drinker, but none of these constipation issues occurred until after all of our cats got crystals (three at once!) and were put on SO. Now, the vet says we can switch and try C/D, but I don't like these foods!

The cats got crystals, all at the same time, shortly after I gradually switched them back to their old food, Chicken Soup brand.

Anyway, the choices I have come up with to get them off of prescription diet is Wellness CORE, EVO or Nature's Variety. I would like to do canned and dry for starters...I have one cat who won't EAT canned! Maybe I just haven't offered the right one...

In my research, I've read a lot of reports of crystals forming with Wellness, so I may take that one off my list. The cats have a fountain, which they love, to help increase their water intake.

Angie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.