Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In January I will have to make a tough selection between one of these platinum mink Tonkinese boys...I cant wait! (pics at 4weeks old)

·
Registered
346 Posts
oh my goodness! cuteness abounds! I would definatly have to spend time with them and choose based on personality....they are all so cute that I couldn't choose by looks! :D

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Awww I really want one too, send one for me please! Well maybe you will not be able to just pick one, so why not take two :?:

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
All Tonks are minks! I love the mink shading on ragamuffins too. Soooo pretty. Platinum has to be my favorite color on tonks. Congratulations -- they are adorable!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe Tonkinese come in 4 base colors (platinum, champagne, natural, and blue) with 3 coat patterns (point, mink, solid) for a total of 12 individual color combinations. Points having blue eyes, Minks having aqua eyes, and Solids with yellow/green eyes.

I believe minks are the only ones recognized in competitions.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Lazio said:
I believe Tonkinese come in 4 base colors (platinum, champagne, natural, and blue) with 3 coat patterns (point, mink, solid) for a total of 12 individual color combinations. Points having blue eyes, Minks having aqua eyes, and Solids with yellow/green eyes.

I believe minks are the only ones recognized in competitions.
It depends on their breeding I suppose. If you breed a Burmese to a Siamese to get a tonk, all of the babies will be mink. Because Burmese are sepia and siamese are pointed. And the genes for that are: sepia - CsCs, and pointed - CbCb. So when you breed them together, you get all CsCb babies -- the mink color. Sepia and Pointed are codominant -- so you will always get a mix of them with that breeding -- that being the mink. Perhaps that is why only minks are recognized in competition -- because that is the original breeding of a Tonk...Burmese/Siamese.

You *could* get a sepia or a pointed if you bred a Tonk to another tonk, or a tonk to a burmese, or a tonk to a siamese. You'll get no guarantees if you use Tonks in a breeding program, because they carry both genes, so the babies could be CsCb - mink, CsCs - sepia, or CbCb - pointed. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They came from a very reputable breeder here in Ontario, they have only had thier eyes open for two weeks, I believe its just natural stuff which comes out as the eyes first develop, maybe mommy hadn't licked it off before the pics were taken.

They were bred from a Tonkinese Platinum solid father and a Tonkinese Platinum Point mother.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Lazio, i'm sorry to say this, but they positively look sick to me, those eyes are not normal. I just emailed a good friend of mine, who's a breeder of 20+ years, she has many prize-winning cats , and here's what she said:

those kittens are sick, that's herpes and if she's not careful they will get worse. She needs to clean them and probably the environment and then treat the mother, assuming they are not eating food yet, and if they are she needs to feed them. gunk in the eyes is NEVER a good thing. Sometimes there may be a tiny bit on one kittens eye, but it should be cleaned out and watched, but look at all of these, yuk, one on the far right appears to be wattery as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the insight, i will contact my breeder and get her opinion immediately!
Personally i dont think it is anything since the breeder has been breeding championship quality Tonks for 15 years.
thanks so much for your concern and thoughts!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My breeder claims that the kittens are in great health, no sniffles, no sneezing, and they are very active. She says that the stuff around thier eyes is common "kitty crud" and is normal for this breed and most kittens. She does not clean them because of the sensitivity and risk of irritation of such a young developing eye and lets the mother groom them. I will keep my eye on it for the next set of pics that she sends, next week. thanks so much

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
I'll second the "kitty crud" diagnosis :p Anderson had the same dark stuff around his nose as a kitten, and the vet said it was perfectly normal:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts