Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! My name is Jim. I live with my partner and two kitties. One kitty, whose name is Kitty, is almost 15 years old. She is white and orange. Never had a health problem in her life and still loves to play. Most people see her and think she's a young adult or older kitten. Our other kitty, Ti, is 8 years old, gray and chunky. He also loves to play, and is very friendly. We adopted him just two days ago, so LOTS of changes right now!

I decided to check out the forum to see how others have introduced two adult cats. Kitty lived most of her life with other cats, but has been the only one for about two years now. She does not adjust easily to change usually, and the introduction of Ti to the household is no exception. I'm hoping to find advice and support here, because I really want to do this right!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link! I've been reading up on the process ever since we decided to take Ti in. Ti has only been home 2 days now, so he still has his own room. He's already become very affectionate forward us and wants to explore, so it's hard keeping him locked up. Here's the progress (or lack thereof in some cases) so far:

1. Kitty and Ti at first growled and hissed at each other under the door crack. This doesn't happen much now, although Kitty will occasionally hiss/growl if her treat or toy gets too close to the door crack.

2. Today I created a toy consisting of a shoestring and two jingly balls. I put it under the door frame, with one ball on each side. Kitty immediately loved it and played, with only the occasional short hiss. Ti isn't as interested, but he will sit on his side of the door and watch the string and jingly ball move around. This, I hope, is helping create that association of good stuff with the new cat scent--for Kitty, at least, as she seems to be having the most trouble adjusting.

3. I bought two baby gates today and set them up in the door frame. Tonight, Kitty and Ti met face-to-face for the first time. Ti seemed rather nonchalant about the whole thing, really just wanting his Greenies, but Kitty was freaked--hissing, growling, trying to swat him through the fence. She did calm down to eat her Greenies, so it wasn't a complete disaster. She seemed more scared than aggressive, for the most part. Still, I'm questioning whether it was too soon for her...

I'm trying to decide if tonight would be a good time to have them swap spaces for a little while. Ti seems very curious about the rest of the house, and I think it might be good for Kitty to explore the scents of the safe room for a little bit. Is two days too soon, esp. given Kitty's hissy fit during the first face-to-face? I'm thinking it'll be okay, because there'd be no actual cat-to-cat interaction...

·
Super Moderator
26,491 Posts
I think swapping spaces would be fine at this point.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Hi Jim and welcome! It sounds like it's too soon for face-to-face encounters (even with baby gates), but I agree with Marie, you can try the room exchange. You or your partner should stay with Kitty in the safe room, and the other person should supervise Ti as he wanders around. If Kitty appears very upset in Ti's room, then I wouldn't force her to stay in too long. Either end the room exchange early, or put Ti in another contained room and let him explore said other room for a while...then put him back in the safe room when Kitty is out of sight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts