Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Wonder if any one could help? I really want to feed my cats a more better diet for them. Everything I have read on Raw is confusing! Some say use vegetable some say don't as cats wouldn't eat them normally.

Can anyone advise what I should use? I don't want to use the wrong ingredients.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
welcome to the forum! Cats are carnivores and need no veggies or grains at all. these things barely get digested and just come back out the other end making bigger, stinkier poop. Cats are fully able to get everything they need without fruits, veggies or grains. For a complete raw diet your cats MUST be able to eat plain muscle meat, small bones, liver and at least one other organ (not heart though). You should feed the cat 2-3% of his body weight (about, it's not super important just make sure he does not loose or gain too much weight) and should each 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver and 5% other organ. Basically feed meat every day, feed a boney meal (like a chicken neck) every third day, feed liver once a week (a piece maybe the size of a quarter) and feed the other organ once a week (same as liver). Take it slow with the transition, start with just feeding muscle meat like chicken breast or thigh meat (while still feeding commercial food at another meal) then teach the cat to eat smashed up, chopped up boney stuff (so take a chicken neck, smash it with a mallet and cut it into three or four pieces so he learn to chew bone) and organs and once he can eat all the parts of a complete diet you can stop feeding commercial food altogether! Also remember to avoid grinding and pre-made raw if you can.

here's a good site (check out the links too): http://www.rawfedcats.org/

I'm very glad you've decided to upgrade your cat's diet, it'll be well worth it!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Would gizzards qualify for "other organs"? I saw I can buy packaged chicken gizzards and hearts at the grocery store along with chicken livers too.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I actually think gizzards are a muscle or offal or something not organ though (if I'm thinking of the right thing)...Very good for teeth cleaning I believe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the links and advice.

I've been starting small and just been giving them small bits of chicken breast and rabbit..

Yea I don't really want to grind the meat. As I would prefer to give them something they can chew on

·
Banned
952 Posts
~Siameseifuplz~ is correct - gizzards are considered "muscle" meat, as are hearts. Organ meat is kidneys, spleen, brain, lungs, that kind of stuff.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I've been told that, within the context of a raw prey model diet, lungs fall under the category of muscle meat (like heart and gizzards), rather than secreting organ (liver, kidney, spleen, pancreas, thymus, brain, testicles).

Laurie

·
Banned
952 Posts
Hmmm, don't want to argue with you, Laurief, but lungs are organs, both biologically and for raw-feeding purposes.

Hope the confusion isn't discouraging you KittehKrazy! Do you have any more specific questions? How are things going?

A.C.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
AC, do you have an authoritative source for the classification of lungs as muscle meat that you could link here? I have posted this question to a couple of raw feeding forums online and have been consistently told that lungs are considered muscle meat within the context of the Raw Prey Model diet ... everywhere but here at CatForum, that is.

Laurie

·
Banned
952 Posts
What would you consider "authoritative" in this context? Unfortunately, no scientific studies have been done on feeding cats their natural diet, so pretty much all the info available is anecdotal. Even those wonderful websites created by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM and Elizabeth Hodgkins, DVM (Cat Info and Your Diabetic Cat respectively) are anecdotal.

In any case, my "source" is a forum that, due to it's age and membership experience, is generally considered one of the best resources for information on raw cat feeding. Cat Forum has a policy that prohibits the naming of other cat-related forums, even if they're only feeding-specific, so I'll just quote one of the lovely ladies from that other forum here,

""Organs" for the purpose of rawfeeding are things like liver, pancreas, brain, kidney, lung, thymus. They are "squidgy" rather than "pumpy" in coarse terms.

Other organs, like heart, which do their job in a muscular way, are considered muscle (not organ) for feeding purposes, even though they are considered organs in other contexts.

It has to do with the way they function and thus the kind of nutrition they provide."

If you're interested in talking with me more, you can pm me or we can start another thread, so we don't hijack someone else's conversation. :)

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
AC, this conversation is right OT with the original question of this thread, which was asking about raw diet ingredients. There's no hijacking involved. Just discussion of the original topic.

Lungs are about as "pumpy" as an organ gets, and as far as I know they don't secrete anything so wouldn't fall under the classification of secreting organ. I still think they more closely fit under the Prey Model Diet's "muscle meat" category rather than the "secreting organ" category.

I've read the quote you posted here on another forum. In fact I think it may have been the same forum where I posted my question about lung classification months ago and received a reply from another long-time member stating that lungs were considered muscle meat. Another raw feeder I know from a different pet forum said that she has always been told that lungs are considered the "popcorn" of raw meat, offering very little in the way of nutritional value.

When it comes right down to it, it really doesn't matter as long as we don't make meal after meal after meal out of exclusively lungs. Lungs have a place as part of a variety of meats and organs fed in a raw diet, regardless of which classification we try to fit them into.

Laurie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi everyone, thanks for the advice once again. But I’ve kind of hit a snag with the raw feeding.

1, I’ve tried everything but two of my cats absolutely refuse to touch anything that is raw, no matter how small or what it is I put on it ....

2,This is really my problem more so than the cats and really stupid but. While I tried to figure out what to do with the other two, I ordered some quail for the one who likes it to get her used to different things. I got sent whole baby quail though and I couldn’t bring myself to prepare it so I just gave it to her like it was. Well afterwards, all off a sudden I felt really guilty about feeding raw food. I think it was me being squeamish I dunno. Anyone else had this problem?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts