Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, As the title says I'm a newbie but hope to have lots of lovely chats before long.

Having had a bit of a read it seems everyone is really nice so I look forward to "meeting" you all.

Kerry x

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I can see my post now so can give a little more information. My partner and I got two lovely little kittens in May that were brother and sister and 8 weeks old. Once they'd had all their jabs and had had their "ops" we got them reflective collars and allowed them outside.

This was fine for a while but on 30th November I came home from work to find my little boy - Paddy surrounded by my neighbours. sadly he had been hit by a car but wasn't even killed outright so I had to frantically try to get him to the vets, but he didn't make it. I'm crying right now just typing about this - I just can't seem to get over it. If I think about him I just cry and so I try not to think about him but then just feel bad about that.

I decided that his sister - Izzy, would then be an indoor cat, I just can't protect her if Paddy can be killed right outside our house. My partner doesn't agree with this but is going along with it for me. I then feel terrible because it doesn't seem right to keep her in.

Because she has always had another kitten to keep her company and we thought she would be bored indoors on her own whilst we are at work we decided to get another kitten to keep her company. It was too soon really but we got Thomas a week before christmas. Althought it did seem too soon it was also the perfect time as we both had a lot of time off work over christmas so could get him settled in.

Amazingly within just a few days they got on really well - and still do. It turns out Thomas is actually a girl, but we love her all the same.

I'm so sorry to have my first (ish) message being so sad but I just thought people on here would know where I am coming from with this sadness I can't get past - at least you understand the love for a kitten anyway.

And I hope you may be able to give me some advice on keeping them happy whilst being indoor kittens.

Thanks so much.

Kerry x

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Welcome! I'm sorry to hear about Paddy. That must be heartbreaking. I hope, with time, you'll be able to remember the good memories with him and it will make you smile. It is a plus that Izzy gets along with Thomas so well. Are you going to keep the name Thomas, now that you know he's a she?!

As for indoor/outdoor, both of my girls are indoor-only cats. I live in Canada (although I am originally from the U.K.). Here we have lots of raccoons, which are nasty little creatures that would tear my cats to shreads if they ever got hold of them. So, there's no chance I could let my girls outside. They are very happy being indoors only, although I have lots of indoor cat trees, things they can climb, toys, etc. I suspect it will be relatively easy on Izzy and Thomas to remain indoors, given they are kittens and are not yet used to being outdoors.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Susan and thank you. Yes it is heartbreaking about Paddy, it's amazing how much you can love a pet isn't it, I think it is going to take a while to get over.

Yes we are going to keep the name Thomas even though she is a girl - it just suits her to be honest. I know it's weird and I get a few strange looks but hey, she doesn't seem bothered.

Wow, I always imagined Racoons to be timid little things - just shows what I know, how lovely to live in Canada though - you are very lucky. I don't blame you for keeping your cats in, better to be safe than sorry. It's just not the norm in the UK though is it, although my next door neighbour has five very overweight indoor cats.

I'm determined Izzy and Thomas will not go down that route and am hoping my partner will build a run for them so they get fresh air and some things to climb in the conservatory.

How do you cope in the summer with them being indoors? Only, a few people have mentioned it to me and it's true it could be a problem I suppose - but what about having your windows open?

Thanks again.

Kerry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts