Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Dropkick Shortie here.
Nice to meet y'all! I've been wanting to join a cat forum for some time now.

And this (points at the attachments) is Dexter, my (I-dunno-what-he-is) kitten. He is fifteen weeks old.

People have asked if he was a Bengal or a "wild cat", but I just tell them that I think he's an alien. He sure meows like one. More like a "RrrrrRRrRR?" rumble and less like a "Meow?", which he does often. He plays in water, so we have to keep the toilet lids down... but that doesn't stop him from hopping into the shower with us! Fill a bathtub up and he just sits in it and laps at the water with his tongue. :eek:nekitty He is also a bit large, which has been commented upon by many visitors. He is three to four pounds at fifteen weeks old and is very tall.

I do apologize... his coat was much more clear and crisp when we got him at 12 days old. He seems to be going through the "fuzzies" right now, so his coat is kind of dull and ticked with white hairs. He had such wonderful spots, too. I hope they come back, soon.

Unless you want to read the long, boring story below, this is my "Hello" to you all! :) Thank you!
~~Shortie

Before y'all go off on me for "being selfish" and "taking a kitten away too soon", here's the story:

It was a dark and rainy night. A cold wind chilled me to the bone...
Okay, so it was not exactly that dramatic, but it was a cold and rainy evening. A friend, coworker, at the time was taking out the trash to the big green dumpster behind my work when he heard mewing coming from nearby. Upon further inspection, he found a tiny, soaking wet kitten squirming in an anthill with ants crawling all over it. I was working at the time, so another friend of mine took the kitten home and cleaned him up and gave him to me once I was available. I had been wanting a cat for some time now and he happened to just be the one, though I was unable to actually choose him. In a way, he kind of chose me.

A vet visit confirmed that he was indeed a healthy little boy, not even two weeks old, with only dehydration and the sniffles. No fleas or other diseases were found. In later visits, worms were nowhere in sight. The veterinarian is baffled as to why a momma cat abandoned such a healthy baby by a dumpster. We came to the conclusion that someone must have dumped him there.

He was once so tiny... and now he is an independent little boy, who seems to have never ending energy and an insatiable urge to climb to the highest point in the house, hence why we bought him an eight foot climbing post that braces into the ceiling for support. The only thing I happen to loathe about him is his trouble-making ways and how rough he is with his claws and teeth when he plays. Dexter is always getting into something. :?

He visits a vet tomorrow for his second set of shots and a referral to get neutered. He is just too wild, so maybe the neutering will cut down his activity level a bit--for the most part, I seriously doubt it will curb anything.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
Awwww, he's adorable!!!!

As for the biting and scratching, seriously, you name a cat Dexter, you've got to expect some blood and gore. :grin:

Get him used to having his claws trimmed now (it's much easier with two people). Let him know that the biting is unacceptable. Say OW! and put him down when he bites. It'll take a while, but kitties don't like being ignored. Cali was my biter. Yup, don't let the innocent face fool you!

Welcome!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
What a sweetheart! Most kittens learn not to claw or bite inappropriately from their Mom and their litter mates (although even then they often give it a try). Still, he was essentially denied the benefit of any training from Mom or his littermates, so you will have to "train" him, as Marie suggested. It's wonderful that you found him and were able to give him a home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts