Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new here. I just came across this forum and was looking for some advice on one of my cats.

I have 2 cats, Patches (almost 13) and KC (almost 12). I have had them since they were kittens and they are a big part of our family. Unfortunately, I have a really hard decision to make tomorrow, regarding my cat Patches.

I am hoping to find some advice on these forums.

Shannon

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
Welcome, Shannon.

I'm sorry that you've come here under what sounds like sad circumstances. Hopefully you can get some good advice here.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I was hoping for some advice.

My Patches, had a UTI in July and was incidently diagnosed with severe spondylosis of the spine which the vet found on an x-ray. Since then, he has been peeing throughout my house and never in the same spot. I have been keeping him and my other cat in the basement when we go to bed so that he can be close to his box. Our basement is finished and has couch in it.

Since then, he has peed on most of the basement stairs, the landing, the couch, various places on the carpet in the basement and just started pooping on the landing. I have taken him to the vet and he can't find anything else wrong with him. I have tried Feliway and he is currently on a glucosomine pill that doesn't seem to be helping. He has been irritable with my other cat and dog and his back legs are stiff when he walks.

I have an appointment with the vet tomorrow but I have a feeling that I am going to have to make one of the hardest decisions of my life. I feel so guilty because he looks healthy but I can't take the peeing anymore.

I know that I shouldn't be posting this here but I am desperate.

Shannon

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
Poor little old guy, with his stiff back legs. :( You know in your heart what the best thing for him would be. Sometimes the kindest thing to do is the hardest. :patback

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know what I need to do...it is just so hard. I have been crying all day and can't seem to stop. He is part of my family and it is going to be so hard to let him go. Part of me wonders if this is the right decision because on the outside he looks normal and for the most part he acts normal. This is why it is so hard.

And then when I think about a year or two from now, I just don't think that I can handle him peeing and pooping throughout my house. Plus, he has become more irritable towards my other cat and my dog.

Why does this have to be so hard?

Shannon

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
It's beyond hard. It's just heartbreaking, in the purest and most devastating way.

I'm so sorry to hear about what's going on, but you should trust yourself to make the right decisions. I know it's weird when they look fine but you know they aren't, but that's why we have vets, to tell us what's going on internally. Please know you've got a sympathetic crowd here if you want to update us.

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
I think it's much harder when they don't actually look sick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts