Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just adopted a 1-year-old cat that showed up our front door and seemed to have been abandoned.
She's extremely friendly, constantly grooming, and correctly used her litter box immediately.
However, she keeps peeing everywhere she lies down on. That includes my bed, her bed, the couch, the floor and her carrier. She could be asleep or just lying down, there is always a pee trace afterwards, and her tail is constantly wet. She also sometimes pees when I carry her, so really it seems like she doesn't realise she's peeing, rather than doing it on purpose.

Could she be incontinent, or is she too young for that? If it's a medical issue rather than a behavioural one, is it curable or will I have to live with it? I'm very worried because I'd like to keep her indoors but the constant cleaning makes it exhausting.

Thanks in advance,
Youmna

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I would take her to a vet to make sure she has no infection that might be causing this problem. If she is healthy it might explain why she is abandoned. Perhaps she really needs to be an outdoor cat, but that seems hard, doesn't it. But for sure, you cannot keep trying to clean up after her. I hope it's just an infection and meds will cure it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I hope so. I left her sleeping on my bed last night and found it covered in wee in the morning.
We started giving her antibiotics assuming it's a UTI but let's see if it improves.
I'm feeling very sorry for her, I'd love to keep her in but this is seriously problematic.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I hope that she will be ok. Please keep us updated.

Larry

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sad news, after spending a few days at the vet, he says she seems to have gotten her back kicked by someone or hit by a car, which is causing her incontinence. He says there is nothing he can do.

I feel devastated as I am moving to London next month and not sure what I should do with her. The vet said London must have hospitals where they have more experience with operating such cases, but if it doesn't work, can I keep her as an outdoor cat in such a cold weather?

Please help me find solutions for her there is no way I let her go!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
That's very sad. I think she needs to be an outdoor cat. I'm not sure where you are moving from but if it is an international move, she'll be getting quaratined (indoors) for a certain time, likely, so it would be better to rehome her to an outdoor living situation. Poor little kitty, poor you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am moving from Beirut, Lebanon and trying to get all her vaccination done so she wouldn't have to be quarantined upon her arrival in the UK. I'm also looking into the option of giving her up for adoption here before leaving, but I feel like it is my duty to take care of her now that our path crossed, and I love her so much it would be hard to let her go.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
So sorry for your little girl. Keep trying to find a solution so she can have a full life. You were meant to find each other. I believe in that. Your doing a good thing.
Regards
Larry

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Another question: given her situation, what type of living arrangement will you have in London? If you have a house with a yard in a quiet street, maybe she could do well outdoors (after she adjusts to the new place for a couple of weeks indoors) - but if you're in a flat, you'll both be stuck.

I do understand, I had a partly paralyzed incontinent cat for a number of years. But I had a big fenced garden he could spend his days in, and a big crate for his nights indoors. Even so, there was a lot of cat-pee smell in my home. Sigh. I miss him, he was a great cat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sorry about your cat, yes the wee issues doesn't take away from their amazing personalities!

Luckily I am moving to my partner's house in the countryside outside London, in the middle of big fields and forests. The garden isn't fenced but we could add one if needed. I think this could be perfect for Noussi!

The vet also told me to be patient as if the incontinence is caused by nerve damage, there is a chance time will heal it. I am praying he is right!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Ok, then you only have to really worry about the couple of weeks after the move, to settle in and learn that this new place is home. That's not so bad. Good luck, and I hope the problem is temporary. Poor little cat. Hope your partner is on board with this issue! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi all,
News got worse when we got a second vet's opinion. There is a clear pull tail injury with nerve damage that is causing the incontinence, which happened before I adopted her and is too late to treat. It is most likely she will remain incontinent permanently.
She is only one year old, and she may spend her lifetime waking up in a pond of wee and grooming for hours everyday to clean up her mess.
I'm feeling devastated. How can I take her to the UK in this mess? And who would adopt her knowing her condition, in my country where animal cruelty is at its highest? Please help me find a solution that is both suitable for her and doesn't make me live a life of servitude...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I am so sorry to read this. I have no idea what to suggest next other than make her an outdoor cat ASAP. She can still be loved, cuddled, fed, all that, and yes, she'll spend a lot of time grooming, but such is life. When she is indoors, she probably should be crated, just for your sanity in your home.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts