Cat Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I had just adopted a 9 year old cat from the Humane Society last Satuday. He took to us immediately and we knew he was the one. Anyway, since we have brought him home, he hasn't used the litterbox, nor eaten anything more than a mouthful since he came home. He does drink a little, so that puts me a little at ease.

I took him to the vet yesterday, and they had to give him a shot for his "Kitty Cold" and sedate him to empty his really full (bloated) bladder. :cry:

What I want to know is how to get him to eat the food that the vet gave me (prescription diet food for nourishment), and the antibiotics? Is it normal behavior for a newly adopted cat? To not eat and avoid the litterbox? The litterbox is in a quiet corner of our computer room.

Please help.....I am so worried :cry:

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Does the cat seem nervous? You know slink around instead of walking tall?
Maybe your new cat is scared to use the box and eat.

Kitty gets very nervous/upset when we move (We've moved 3 times in 6 years). I usually put her in a quiet room with the door closed with her food, water, bed, and litterbox. And leave her be for a while, sometimes I go in there and read with her. After a day or so, I open the door a crack so she can come out if she wants. When she's ready to explore the new house, she comes out for a while then escapes back to her safe place. She can acclimate to her new surroundings on her own terms.

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
I'm going to close this one, and leave the one in the emergincies section open. It is much easier to just have on thread open, i know youre worried!

Cats usually dont each much/use the litter tray for the first few days but this long isnt normal. if you are not happy with youre vets desicion then seek further advice.

Link to the other thread-
http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5767&highlight=

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.