Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just adopted a 3 year old male yesterday around 4pm. ( We got him to keep our 3 year old female company since our other male died.) Since we got him we keep him seperated from the other cat and only bring them together under watchful eye. Since we have had him he seems ok, considering the new environment, but he has not used the litter box at all. I have checked the entire room and there is nothing in the carpet as well. Is this normal and should I be concerned. I bought him a brand new litter box, but still no luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had a similar worry with my little girl when I got her. She went for about 2 days without going. Because she was a stray found outdoors I kept thinking maybe she was "holding on" hoping I would let her outside (she is an indoor kitty as I live in an apartment) to do her duty. As you can imagine I was starting to get VERY worried on the 3rd day because she had been happy enough to eat food and drink a little water, so I knew she must be dying to go.

Since I had to go to work and I was worried about an accident occuring somewhere, I was a bit nasty to her (I'm sorry!) and locked her in the room (a spare bathroom) with her litter tray and food bowl while I went out. I figured that a) she'd get the idea to go if she didn't have the op to run about the place and b) if she didn't go in the tray at least the mess would be easier to clean than on carpet, bedding etc.

Well I got home about 4-5 hours later feeling really bad because I had done that and I opened the door expecing her to run out and abuse me but there was dead silence! I was so worried! (Do I sound like a new father yet? :) ). Anyway I checked the tray and sure enough she'd used it (HOORAY!) but there was still no sound... until I found her... she'd managed to pull down a fluffy towel from a rail and was curled up in it in a ball - fast asleep. It was so adorable!

After that she was fine and I haven't had to confine her again :D I hope your kitty is just nervous about new home and works out that it's OK to go in the box soon - because I know how stressful it can be hoping he is OK and happy and worrying why he hasn't aparently gone (and not wanting to find a "surprise" somewhere ...).

·
Registered
88 Posts
We got Peanut from a breeder and she didn't go for over 24 hours when we first got her. In fact to our fist vet appt we were supposed to bring a stool sample and we told him she hadn't gone at all. He said to keep an eye on it and I think later that day she did and everything was fine.

I think it's just them adjusting to their new surroundings, humans can react that way sometimes, too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts