Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Kitty has been losing hair since January. I found a large round bald area, about 2" long and 1.5" wide on her stomach. I took her to the vet and started putting an astringant on the area, while we tested for ringworm. Well, I brought her back it wasn't ringworm and the astringant wasn't working. So then we tried a hydrocortizone cream. She developed another bald spot, near her armpit. The second spot is smaller, 1.5" by 1".

The hydrocortizone cream wasn't working the large patch was now 3" by 2". So we tried oral steroids....nada.

Then I was supposed to give her anti-anxiety meds, but those things taste so bad I haven't gotten a single pill into her. The vet told me there is nothing else they can do and if the anti-anxiety pills don't work, I have to take her to a dermatologist. Yeah.

Anyway....exciting news!!! I checked today and the smaller patch in her armpit is growing hair back! Yeah! I might not have a bald cat. I think I'm gonna take her back to the vet and see if the large patch is shrinking. Anyway, I was so excited to see hair I had to tell someone. When I say it, I gave Kitty a million kisses. She was excited for me to go to work and leave her alone. :D

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
WOOHOO!!!!!!! I'm so glad you saw some hair growing back!! That is too cool. It's so frustrating when you AND vets don't know what's going on.

It is so funny what we'll get so excited about (I was jumping for joy when I saw Ginza with a well-formed poop - he had a little diarrhea prob some time back). It really speaks volumes for how much we love our cats and value their health and well being.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I was supposed to give her the anti-anxiety meds, but couldn't get her to take them. So she hasn't been on any meds for a while.

I was thinking about making an appointment to bring her to the dermatologist, but it was at a location about 40 minutes from my house. Kitty does NOT travel well. So I've been putting it off.

Then, when I went to check her the other day...I realized it was growing back!

I think that when I went on vacation in early January, then I got home and noticed the main bald spot. And I started taking her to the vet...every two or three weeks and applying strange meds. I think it started with my vacation (her stress) and the hair fell out, then I made it worse by torturing her with vet and meds for the next few months. As soon as I stopped trying to dose her with meds and taking her to the vet, her hair started to grow back!

Guess in this instance the vet was not a good idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts