Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Don asked me to post more info about the newspaper litter I use called "Yesterday's News". Here is a link.

http://www.yesterdaysnews.com/products_cat.html

It is a compressed paper product made from recycled newspapers and my cat's (cat and kitten) like it. It is more expensive than clumping and clay but it lasts longer and it controls the smell better than anything I have ever used. They claim it absorbs 3 times more than clay.

tanyuh

·
Registered
821 Posts
How easy is it to switch litters? Right now my kitten is using No Name Brand..hahah....that is what the breeder was using. I HATE it! I have a whole bag of Yesterday's News that I had tried when I first got him but he wouldn't use it, I think it was because he was scared (this was at the stage where he was peeing on our bed!!!). Now, he uses the litterbox ALL the time. So, how do you go about switching litters?

·
Registered
24 Posts
(thanks jeanie!)

about switching litters - what i do when i want to try a new litter is put the new litter brand in and cover the top with the old litter brand.. that usually works for my kitten.. although, i don't think she's picky about litter.. we've tried lots.

·
Registered
75 Posts
that is quite possibly the cutest photo i've ever seen!!

i just switched from the plain clay litter to yesterday's news, per a previous suggestion on the forum. all i have to say is WOW. what a difference with odor AND tracking. i had stupid pebbles all over the house before, but now, nothing. i use the original; it is unscented and has bigger pieces. it's great.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Is Yesterdays News flushable? I'm using SWheat, which is amazing for odor control, but does track a little. The girls have a messy room, but at least it stays there and doesn't get all over the apartment.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Feline Pine reminds me of Cap'n Crunch cereal when it get soggy so I can't stand the stuff. It is used at the adoption agency I work at and I've cleaned up diarrhea mixed with the stuff and it just grosses me out. It is great on odor though but I just wouldn't be able to get close to it, ick.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yesterdays News, never worked for my gang, no odor control ability at all!

But each litter will work differently for each cat, so you just have to experiment. I prefer to find something natural (not clay) if possible.

The best litter I have found that offers natural, no dust, and good odor control is Papurr. They have it at Petsmart, Target and sometimes other stores.

Just wanted to mention that litter incase no one had ever heard of it :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Is Papurr flushable? doesn't say so on the PETsMART website.

I started off with a cheap brand Pride something flushable, got what you paid for like $3. and is basically sand with hardly any odor control and clumps ok but the tracking was bad.

Now using Swheat - when I opened the bag it smelt so good I wanted to eat it :p clumps good, odor ok, but again tracking gets around but not as bad as fine sand cause its bigger. Some magazines have $1.00 off coupon for it so worth a try.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Papurr at Walmart??! Oh I could only dream, I've never seen it there.

Do you have one of those Super Walmarts or something?

It comes in scooping and non scooping. I use the scooping for my cats, it has a light scent to it, but myself and my cats don't mind, I actually like the smell of it.

And yes, it works GREAT for odors on my gang, very low dust, and last longer then typical clay litter.

I do not know if it is flushable, I do not think that it is, personally after seeing what my rents went through years ago to replace their septic tank, I don't flush ANYTHING down my toliet except for toliet paper.

·
Banned
410 Posts
Yep, this is a Super Walmart. I noticed the Papurr because I had never seen it before. I guess I'll have to give it a try. The box that I saw was not real big, do they make larger sizes? (I have 3 litter boxes.)

I hate strongly scented cat litter--I don't like picking up my babies and smelling their potty box. Yuck!
Should I mix it at first with their old litter or just try using it alone?

·
Registered
676 Posts
kittygirl: Compaired to other "scented" litters it's really not bad at all, it is just very plesant, but doesn't make your whole house smell like the stuff.

Papurr actually just came out with newer versions for the same price!!
You now get 15 pounds of scoopable instead of 10, and 30 pounds of non scooping (which works just as well for odors and the granuals are a lot bigger) instead of 20.

Cheap cheap cheap!

I honestly have to say, I do not go through Papurr that fast, I fill up the boxes and I'm good to go with out having to buy more for about a month.
If the smell of the litter bugs you too much, you can always leave the bag open to "air it out" if you will, I know a lot of people who do this when they use it with their smaller animals.

As far as mixing it, that's up to your cats, I don't have to transition mine, they will use whatever I throw in there. Your cats will probably like the soft fine feel of it better then whatever you are using now.

Veda: Papurr and Feline Pine really aren't alike in any way.
Papurr is recycled paper, great for odor & wetness control, small and round and very soft for kitties feet.
Feline Pine... well.. it's hard large wood pellets, I found it to have very little odor control, not to mention it's unsafe to use near smaller animals like rats and such. Also Feline Pine isn't really "clumping"

·
Banned
410 Posts
I got the 10 pound PaPurr at Wal-mart for $6.92. I was checking earlier on the internet to see if it was available in any bigger sizes, but couldn't find anything any bigger except for non-clumping (so I'll have to watch for the 15 pound box). As soon as I got it in the litter box, they had to take turns getting in and checking it out. They've all went potty in it and seem happy with it. The smell is really light and pleasant. I've been wanting to try something different because I didn't think the stuff that I was using was lasting long enough (it was even clumping). I've heard so many different people using so many different products! It's funny what they are making litter out of now--like Swheat and The World's Greatest Litter (which I believe is made from corn). Angelzoo, have you tried either of those? My male cat is the stinkiest when he pees, plus it is always ALOT! The girls only leave little pee-balls. :lol:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Kittygirl: I've seen the new sizes of Papurr at Petsmart, so maybe they just have yet to make the shelves of Walmart, they come in a weird bag *a upright bag* instead of a box now, lol.

I have tried Sweat Scoop (Swheat) and we had a bad experience... little odor control, and our "pet sitter" decided to leave an 8 pound bucket of "scooped" used litter open... and in our living room to greet us when we came home. That's another thing, it's not very hard clumping, specially for the big pee-ers! lol

I have not tried the Worlds Greatest Cat Litter, simply because it is soooo expensive I would need to buy 2 of those 20 pound bags to be able to fill up their litter boxes for a while.
However I have only ever heard good things about it from other cat owners.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts