Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The vet called today with most of Newt's bloodwork.

--High Globulin (High Protein) in the blood. This could be the immune system being hyper-stimulated from the virus or it could be symptomatic of FPI.

--Slightly Anemic (23%). Not sure what the test is, but originally when he was ill the test showed 27%, 3% over the anemic test meaning he was fine. Today the blood showed just under, so slightly anemic.

Doc beleives these tests could change since Newt has been in and out of fevers. He is more active now and eating with the appetite stimulant, so it is possible he is pulling out of it and all these tests will be debunked after he is well...no way to know just yet. If he is FPI, what are his chances? Doc says that if he has auto immune disease or anemic they can treat with cordical steroids. Anyone have any dealings with this? Is it possible the **cocktail** of anti-biotics/anehistimines/eye drops/pain killers have everything in an uproar right now?

I told her I think the best thing for him right now, while he is doing well, is to keep the appetite stimulant and let him eat/drink with no other medicine for a week or two to flush his system. Let his nose dry up and get his breathing back in order and put on a pound or two, then check the anemia and protein count.

**c0cktail

·
Banned
410 Posts
hehehe...and the pet bird cockatiel...and those yucky bugs cockroaches :D
And in the morning the rooster goes ****-a-doodle-doo! I love when the words show up different than the way you wrote them! :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greetings all! :)

Well, I definatley think Newt has an allergy to something...still not sure what. After 4 different anti-biotics, some antihistamine and an appetite stimulant...were pretty much still in the same boat. His eye has not been weeping the last few days and he has been feeding/drinking on his own without the stimulant. His nose however still sounds congested and he definatley has some drainage (tried to cough up some flem one night). What can I do? Vet keeps charging us more and more. The only thing that has helped lately is to take him in the shower. This has helped, little by little, clear up his nose. He hardly breathes out of his mouth now, but you can hear the mucus when he breathes. I think the drainage may be giving him a sour stomach which is causing him to eat very little.

Any suggestions? Home remedies? Allergy pills? I changed the filters in my house last night, one had ripped open from the previous owner (plus we have floor vents) so I think this may be where some of the problems started.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Have you asked the vet about the possibility of allergies? After all the trips you've made there, I think they should be willing to discuss this with you and prescribe something without your having to pay for another visit. You can always run a room air purifier in the meanwhile, and keep Newt confined to that room--just to see if that's the problem. A small one should be sufficient for the bathroom. Try it overnight. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts