Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post so my fingers are crossed that I'm doing this right.

I'm a proud mom of a 4 month old Javanese male kitten. Our problem is he has developed this unbelieveable urge to "knead" at my neck once the lights go out. He was weened at 7 weeks, so I imagine that's where this problem comes from. I thought it might go away in time, but it seems to be getting worse. :? I've tried everything to make him stop, but nothing works. We have a good hour of play time every night, followed by a meaty meal. What's that called, play therapy? Anyway, so I know he's worn out at bedtime. I've tried putting citric smelling lotion on my neck to deter him, no good. I'll go back and forth pushing him away, but to say he's persistant is an understatement. :!: Normally it wouldn't bother me because it doesn't hurt (his nails are kept trim) but my neck is so sensitive it makes me itch. Occasionally I can pet him to sleep and he stops, but like clockwork, 2 hours later I'm awakened by him kneading all over again. Inevitably, at some point every night, I'm forced to lock him out of my room so I can get some sleep, and I hate doing that. I'm completely out of ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can get him to stop? Oh, and trying to redirect him to another object doesn't work because he only does in on bare skin, nothing else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
katsprat

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi and welcome! :)

I wish I had suggestions for you on this, but I do not. My cat (5 yr old female) has done this since she was a kitten. She also sucks her paw when she is content and lying on me. It's something I have never been able to break her of. I've tried to move the paw everytime, tell her no, etc. I have given up that it's something I can fix.

Maybe others can help you with this, but it could be that it's something he will never outgrow.

Post some pictures of your baby!! :)

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
All my cats do it, pebbles is 14 years old and still does it.
It doesnt nessercerly mean that they were taken away from their mum too young... Butch, screech and smeagle all do it, and they are 3 kittens i kept from viennas litter.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
We put a piece of fleece between our pillows and Elly now kneads that (and sleeps on it too) instead of kneading us.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Blueberry likes to knead and suck wool or my arm--anything soft. He is five years old now, and I still have to say, No or UH UH! As Rob said, fleece is a big help. I don't mind cats kneading me at all. They do think of us as parents sometimes (and sometimes as kittens!) However, I don't allow it when I'm trying to go to sleep. One little sound stops Blueberry now, but it took a long time to teach him. He thinks if he waits a while, I'll forget or let him go. KITTY-KIDS! Love 'em!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
My Oreo comes and kneads me EVERY night! I think he was separated from his mother to young, cause I got him at 10 weeks. He also buries his face in my tummy/chest as he does this. I think it comforts him and is letting me know that I'm his mommy!

Tip: Keep nails TRIMMED!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, all, for your replies.

Padunk - I never thought of fleece, that's a good idea, I'll try it.

Aonir - Callie doesn't really bury his face in there, just keeps the very tip of his VERY cold, VERY wet nose lightly touching my neck, just enough to make me squirm. I love him to pieces but geesh, enough already!! Thank goodness he doesn't mind having his nails trimmed, or else I'd be sliced meat. :?

He sometimes does it to my arms, you know at the crease inside the elbow? That doesn't bother me at all and I don't push him away. I wonder if that's confusing to him, but I figured he knows the difference.

Don't get me wrong, I love that he thinks of me as his mama, but a girl's gotta get a good night's beauty sleep! :lol:

Anyone else? Any ideas?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts