Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone has some tips for how I can get Magneto to put on more weight. Over the past month and a half he lost 1.5 lbs. Over the past week he went from 8.5 to 8.6 but has not gained anything since Sunday. In fact he has lost 0.02 kg as of tonight. I am feeding him free choice high quality crunchy food (solid gold) as well as having Fancy Feast dry available because he loves it. I am also offering him a variety of high quality canned foods three times a day. He is eating fairly well, so I don't get why he's not gaining weight any faster. Are there foods that are more calorie dense that might help him gain more that you guys know of? I know for a fact that he'll eat raw chicken, and would be willing to give that a try if you guys think it may help...Anyone with advice should post :) I am thinking of starting him on Hill's A/D just because it is formulated to help sick animals gain weight. But I really don't like Hill's brand stuff...

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
How about NutriCal? If it were me I'd be giving him that daily.

Will he eat bread? I know we always gave the horses bread when we were trying to pump weight on them. We'd get it from the bread outlet(day old bread) at the end of the day (fill your car for 25.00) and give the skinny horses two loaves a day.

I'd be concerned why he's not gaining weight though...... perhaps because it's winter... cold and using more energy and all that....?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The doctor attributes it to how stressed he's been lately, with all the vet visits and having to be medicated. I have not ever used nutrical but I just looked into it and I will be purchasing some tomorrow!

He will eat bread if it has butter or cream cheese on it. I can see how that would be good for horses, but is it the greatest idea for an obligate carnivore?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only grain free food I've ever tried was Taste of the Wild and not only did Nito not prefer it but it didn't agree with him. They had small sized bags of EVO on sale at the pet store and I've been feeding some EVO and Blue Buffalo canned so I'll have to give EVO dry a try! Basically right now Nito has free choice dry available at all times and then I feed him 3-4 canned meals a day. I let him eat his fill and then give the leftovers to Chica/Winry (whoever comes with me to Andrew's house that day, where Nito is staying). Someone has to eat the leftovers and the girls are more than willing! I'm fortunate that he has a strong stomach... you'd think that with all the different foods he's eating, he'd get diarrhea but no... he's still a champion pooper :)

·
Banned
602 Posts
As a child we had a skinny stray come to live with us. Until she put on some weight, mom would make milk gravy daily and pour it over her dry food. She packed on the pounds quickly.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not comfortable giving him dairy products (I don't wanna push my luck with the diarrhea!) but I have seen gravy made just for cats as a food additive, I will have to pick some of that up too!

Magneto is a spoiled kitty. I just love him so much, I will do anything and whatever it takes for him!

·
Registered
178 Posts
What about egg yolk? Our family friends were giving their Siberian Husky raw egg yolk in her food when she was underweight. I google'd it and everything said you could give raw egg yolk to cats... but obviously you're probably more knowledgeable about whether or not it's safe or beneficial.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Innova EVO is very calorie-dense, and it's also very palatable to most cats. It'd be a great kibble option for Magneto. I recommend you remove the other kibbles from your cat's diet (after a reasonable transition period) so that he won't fill up on food that isn't providing him with optimal nutrition and calorie count. Keep feeding as much canned food as he wants, as well.

How old is Magneto? Have you had a Total T4 run on him recently to rule out hyperthyroidism? Good appetite coupled with weight loss are common symptoms of hyperT. Of course, his recent medical issues and treatments may be responsible for his weight loss, as well, but it'd be a good idea to check his thyroid, too.

Laurie

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Back when I fed kibble, the girls put on some quick weight when I fed them Wellness CORE. I think they'd be fat cats if they were still eating it today, heh.

If Nito will eat raw, leaving the skins on chicken will also help as it's very fatty.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I seem to remember the Nature's Variety "Instinct" grain-free dry being pretty high calorie as well--high calorie enough to feed to kittens for growth (and to adults in very small portions, which is why Wicket got so fat when he started eating it!)....

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I could try raw egg yolk... I'm not the MOST knowledgeable person when it comes to raw but I've never heard anything bad about it.

He did get his T4 tested, it came out low which is a phenomenon called "sick euthyroid syndrome"

He doesn't like the nutrical but he takes it from a syringe well enough. Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm going to pick up one of those brands of kibbles today and see how it goes. Luckily he isn't too overly finicky... his problem is that he wants variety!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Hey Rach :)

If it is variety what he wants, I would go with the hills a/d. I'm not very happy either with the ingredients and all, but that food has made all the malnourished rescue cats I've had to put on weight and recover in no time. Maybe one can or two, it won't hurt him...

Good luck with everything :) kisses for Nito! :D

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
He did get his T4 tested, it came out low which is a phenomenon called "sick euthyroid syndrome"
In that case, you should definitely have his Total T4 retested once he is completely healthy again. Right now, all you have is an inaccurate TT4 result because of his concurrent illness and ESS. The only way to accurately assess the condition of his thyroid is to wait until he is healthy (so that there will be no interference with ESS), and retest the thyroid.

Laurie

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did pick up a can of a/d today at work to see if he'll like it. I also am a fan of the stuff, simply because we only have hill's food at the e-hosp, and it seems even the most finicky patients like the stuff! I also got a small bag of EVO, so we'll see if he likes that.

@Laurie: He's getting his blood rechecked after Thanksgiving, and I am definitely planning on having his T4 tested in house, either at that time or whenever the good doctor thinks it would be appropriate. So glad to work where I do, where we have so much advanced in house testing. It's very convenient and such an advantage!

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE! He likes the EVO Kibbles, and I picked up a couple of EVO canned as well. I also got him a selection of other things, among them his favorite treat (Tiki cat) and the new Wellness pouches. He's so picky and refuses to eat the same thing twice in a row it seems. Tonight he ate ~1/8 cup crunchy and 3/4 can of A/D (like the hosp. patients, he loves the stuff).

In other news, his chin is looking a lot better

1 - 20 of 23 Posts