Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're not gonna call it chin acne because it embarrasses him :-(

But this all started about a month ago, I came home after visiting my grandma for 4 days and I noticed that Magneto's chin was gray. Now, he's had a random spot or two of these black specks on his lips but it was never this bad. I cleaned him up just the way we usually clean cats with this condition at my clinic, with some dilute chlorhexadine. I've been cleaning his chin daily, sometimes twice. It comes back within hours. I've also been applying animax but to no avail. He's been seen at the emergency clinic I work at even though it's not an emergency. This sorta thing is not an emergency though and so my clinic isn't as experienced with it though. One of our doctors, however, went on to specialize in felines and opened his own clinic. Nito's chin has progressed to hair loss and he has a sore now so I've backed off on the cleaning his chin until he gets seen. Which is tomorrow.

I've been told that Witch Hazel can help with this. But I don't wanna use anything while he has a sore. Hopefully the "Cat Care Clinic" will have more insight for me. Poor Nito! I think this all started from the stress of his mama being gone, because I can't think of anything else that would have caused it. Nothing has changed for him! (well besides moving house, but he'd already been living here a couple months and doing fine)

Anyone else have any tips on dealing with particurally stubborn chin acne

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Have you eliminated all plastic food and water bowls? That's the first thing to do. Then, wash his stainless steel/glass/ceramic bowls with hot water only - NO soap or detergent. As far as the actual sores are concerned, the vet will tell you how best to remedy them.

Laurie

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, we have a ginormous stack of stainless steel bowls so perfectly clean bowls are being used at every meal. It's what we've always used (I knew about chin acne from a friend so I made sure to never even start using plastic dishes from the beginning) We use dawn dish soap to wash them, but I'll start soaking them in hot water only to clean them, see if that makes a difference.

I've thought about getting a couple glass and ceramic dishes too.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mwah mwah mwah among the hundreds of kisses Magneto gets every day, I think I can spare one or two to dedicate to you! ;-)

·
Registered
263 Posts
You may have covered this already but I know many people don't - how about clipping his rear claws - the open sores and hair loss often cause more scratching & feeds the cycle....good luck at the cat clinic, hope they can help him get past the embarassment quickly.
BTW if they have a magic cure my son would like to know - he's 16 - LOL

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^I keep his claws trimmed, I am very good about it. Besides, he has not been bothering it.

The vet examined him and we did a wood's lamp test just to make sure it wasn't ringworm (not that the wood's lamp is *100%* accurate). Nito's chin is a strange case, it's a bit atypical for chin acne. So we're covering all the bases; I have a gentle cleaner, an ointment, and he's taking a week's course of clavamox. There is also a possibility of him having gotten allergies from something. I am buying new treats all the time and when treat bags get torn into, the remaining treats go into "the treat jar". And since I don't know if he has an allergy to something in one of the treats, or which treats it could be, the jar was dumped and we're not going to be having treats for a while :-(

Who am I kidding... it I just put their crunchy food into the treat jar, they can't tell the difference anyways.

His little chin was shaved... I think that in and of itself has made a big difference. It's easier to keep clean and by the end of today his chin seems to already look better.

Poor Nito, he was so shy and sensitive at the vet's office. The tech kept telling him over and over how handsome he was, but he just sat on my lap and buried his face. When he was on the exam table he wanted to hide his face in my arms. It was quite sad, but also quite cute. He was a very good boy though, except from screaming in his carrier on the way from my car and into the clinic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts