Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is sooo hot! Some thing is broke. Its 95 in my room, 94 in my parents, 97 in my sisters, 94 on the main level, and 91 in the basement. It's been like this for like 3 days now, and we are roasting! I'm so scared my pets are going to die. KitKat is breathing very hard and his eyes look sort of purple. He is being very mean and hissing at us (Which he has never ever hissed before) and biting us, so were leaving his alone now. We put a fan blowing on him and he stayed for a little bit, but then got up and went somewhere else. Snickers and Twixie are both panting and keep laying on the kitchen floor since its tile so it's cold, but I dont really think it is. I have been giving them ice cubes all day, but Snickers isnt very interested in them. I thought one 2 of the gerbil babies were dead, but they were just sleeping, thank god. But mommy keeps laying stretched out on the glass, and same with Oreo. My hamster muffin is on her back with her legs up in the air leaning against the glass :( She isnt dead though, shes alive. My water in my fish tank is most likely 95 degrees since thats what it is in my room, so I put ice cubes in there and they were gone in a couple seconds. And I am burning up! I took a cold shower this morning and the water didnt even feel cold to me. Its way to hot to sleep in my room, so I had to sleep on the floor in my parents sitting room last night, and my sister has been staying at a friends. I feel bad for my parents though because we've had some high dentist bills for all of us, my sisters friend backed our car into hers, so thats all messed up, and theres a big long scratch on the other side because, well I dont remember what my sister told me. Now air issues. We've had to pay for vet bills too this month, we've bought tons of clothes and a lot of other stuff. We spent about 6 or 700 the other day on clothes. And other days after that and before that we've been spending about 200. I just feel bad because of all this money in one month. And all my poor pets! KitKat seriously looks like he's dieing! :cry: My hamsters and gerbils also. It is sooooo hot!!!! :(

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My mom says she doesnt know if KitKat is going to make it :cry:

I know that atleast one of my hamsters isnt going to make it :(

I dont know if I'm going to make it! :lol:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Your poor babies! :( and poor you! :(
We don't have AC in most of the house just in 2 bedrooms. It's been very hot here as well.

Try wiping your pets down with a cool wet rag. Especially in their paw pad areas. That should help cool them down.

Can't you get an AC for just one of the bedrooms?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Wait, you think your cat is going to die? Get those pets to the vet! I can't believe that your parents would just let them die. That's criminal negligence. If they can't be cared for, they need new homes.

Sorry to be harsh, but this is so, so scary to read.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
alicia, I'm surprised to hear this from you...

There are lots of things you can do to keep the animals cool, and safe. I live without the a/c ALL the time, and my kitties are just fine. Put some ice cubes in the water bowls. I think someone on here suggested this idea, and I love it, go get some spare ceramic tiles (they're like a dollar at the hardware store) and put them in the freezer for an hour or so to chill. Then put them down for the dog and cat to cool off on. There is no reason for your animals to suffer to the point that they will DIE in the heat. That's just rediculous :(

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Some great ideas here! I'll have to keep these in mind. It gets warm in my house, but not so warm that it affects the kitties. Thanks, guys. :D

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did put frozen water bottles in their tanks :D They've been leaning against them. KitKat was just panting, but now hes a little better. We put him in Twixie's kennel so he couldnt get up and leave, and put a fan next to him. My mom and I sat in the truck for a while with Twixie to cool off :lol: But now I'm really hot again.

We cant have those air conditioners that go in the windows because our windows are crank outs? I think thats what its called, so we dont have the right kind of windows for that.

I am trying to help my animals, and I'm not going to just let them die. I diddd put KitKat in Twixie's kennel and put a fan by him to help him cool off, I have givin my dogs ice water, and have givin them ice cubes all day, and I put frozen water bottles in each of my hamsters and gerbils tanks, annnd I have put ice cubes in my fish tank. The only thing I'm not helping is myself :lol:

I think I already am sick. Everytime I swallow food I feel like I'm going to throw up, I have a headache, I feel sort of dizzy, and I am sweating really bad. Its soo humid! :x

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
alicia said:
I think I already am sick. Everytime I swallow food I feel like I'm going to throw up, I have a headache, I feel sort of dizzy, and I am sweating really bad. Its soo humid! :x
It's good that you've taken measures to help your animals but you need to take care of yourself too. From what you describe, it sounds like you're suffering from heat exhaustion. It's REALLY important for you to be drinking as much fluids as you can. I don't do well in extreme heat at all and I've actually found that drinking room temperature water will quench my thirst and cool off my body better than ice cold water. Why, you ask - I don't know for certain, but my theory is that when ice water hits an overheated body it evaporates quicker and not as much water absorbs into your system. Room temperature water won't actually change a whole lot temperature-wise once it reaches your system and yet you will moisten your vital organs.

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
Seven hundred dollars is my monthly salary...... :lol:

Despite what people say, it is actually a very good investment. Right now you need to look good and become more confident. I wore hand-me-downs when I was a teenager and it was disasterous. People were teasing me and beating me up. There will never be a time when clothes will be as important. People are most vain when they are in junior high. Nobody ever enjoys junior high...life will only get better and better from there (trust me, the longer you stay in school, the less clothes you have :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Take care of your expensive clothes so they can actually last you throughout high school, college, and graduate school.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can't afford to look like a loser before you even get a chance to prove yourself. Do whatever it makes you happy and do not feel guility about that. If $700 worth of clothing will save you $7,000 in psychologists than do it. You deserve that.

However, the $700 can also be used to buy a sewing machine and sewing table, but that is another matter alltogether....

Also, with makeup, buy the smallest containers possible. Nobody ever use up the entire lipstick or eyeshadow...they always spoil before people finish them. Do not buy any makeup in a departmental stores unless there are one of those "gifts with purchase" events. I always enjoy the cosmetic bag and the sample packs WAY MORE than the things I originally brought. After a while, I decided it is more advantageous of me to just go around and ask people for their cosmetic samples instead of buying cosmetics. I stopped buying cosmetics alltogether and that saved me $$$.

I felt so horribly guility and depressed because I have five cats and an apartment by myself...but I am trying to let it go. I have decided that spending money right now is okay if it is going to save me $$$ on psychologists later.

Anyhow, I don't think your kitty cats are going to die. My apartment regularly goes around 90.

Don't worry about that. They are going to be fine. My five cats never had any trouble with the heat.

Drink lots of fluids. Put Meow Mix pouches (shrimp and crab) in the freezer and serve them as popsicles to Kit Cat. My cats love them.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I agree with Jolene, sounds like you have heat exhaustion :( Have some gatorade to help replace electrolytes and you can put some in your kitties bowl, that should help hm also, but if he don't want to drink it you can gently give him some from a dropper.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I got into this thread late...when our a/c went out for a couple of days, we were in the upper-90's to 105 degrees. I was caring for my daughter's kitten at the time (she had just had her spay surgery and didn't want to leave her kitty bed). She was panting and breathing hard. I filled some zipper baggies with ice, wrapped them in soft t-shirts and put them in the bed alongside her. I also gave her cold water with a dropper. She had room to move from them or cuddle up to them and within few minutes she was back to normal. Just a simple ice pack can do wonders. If a pet is really hot, they will naturally go to the ice pack to cool down. Haven't read through the entire post, just wanted to put this out there...sorry if someone else already suggested it and I missed it. :wink:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Also, for yourself Alicia:
Make some ice packs or wet several pieces of cloth (rags or whatever) and freeze them for a few minutes, then place one on each: the back of your neck and your throat; the backs of your knees, the bends of your elbows and the inside and top of your thighs (groin area). These are areas in the human body with strong blood flow and cooling the blood will help to regulate your temp very quickly. When someone goes into the hospital with heat exhaustion this is exactly what they do, but they also give chilled i.v. fluids. The cold rags or ice packs should cool you off pretty fast! You will want to keep several bags / frozen rags ready to alternate when they start to get warm. And as others said: Drink lots :!: of fluids: gatorade or similar is best...if not, cold water will do!
Try it and let me know if it helps! Good luck!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the help! Right now its 87, so that feels good to me. Its still humid, but I'm just glad its 87 instead of 95 :roll: :lol: So, I am not burning up anymore. I still am hot though. I'm drinking crystal light, I think its the same as gatorade, but maybe not since I dont think anything is in crystal light. If it gets in the 90's later today, or tomorrow, then I will put ice packs on myself :D It's really that serious to have to go to the hospital for? 8O

·
Registered
452 Posts
I would say as far as your situation, it's not anywhere near that point...it can get that serious, but it sounds you are doing what you need to. Crystal light doesn't have anything to help the electrolytes. Water is probably a better choice. By the time someone needs to go to the hospital, they are usually on the verge of or are unconscious. They will also have a very high temperature: sometimes up to 106 degrees or more and there will be no sweating. If you are sweating when it feels hot, your body is still working as it should...but the cold packs will help you feel better. :wink: Glad it is better today. :D

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its 88 now, and is very humid, which is making it feel really hot. I am too hot, so I got an ice pack. I put it under my shirt on my stomach and it didnt cool me off for long :lol: I guess I'll go fill up a lot of bags with ice cubes instead :)

My mom said it might be until Saturday until anything happens 8O The guys are trying to figure out if they should just fix it, or put a whole new one in. Put a new one in and get it over with! :lol: Were dying here! :p

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its 88 now, and is very humid, which is making it feel really hot. I am too hot, so I got an ice pack. I put it under my shirt on my stomach and it didnt cool me off for long :lol: I guess I'll go fill up a lot of bags with ice cubes instead :)

My mom said it might be until Saturday until anything happens 8O The guys are trying to figure out if they should just fix it, or put a whole new one in. Put a new one in and get it over with! :lol: Were dying here! :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts