Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my cat Meatball in the vet last Monday, he spent the night on IV fluids and amoxicillin due to a suspected pancreatitis flareup. When he was at the vet, they did a full panel ($148!) which of course showed elevation in liver/pancreas enzymes but I caught it pretty quick. An x-ray showed no blockages or constipation, at least at that point.

He is still on amox 50mg twice daily and methocol (1/2 capsule/day). He hadnt peed or pooped since Friday evening. At that time, he let out a little itty bitty poop smaller than my pinky finger, it appeared to be very mooshy probably from the amoxicillin, Im not sure. Anyway, hes pretty alert and playful, you wouldnt guess hes got a flareup or suffering from constipation..definitely different from the last time he had it. He doesnt appear to be in any pain or discomfort and I have, at least 3-4 times, inspected his belly.

He has very little interest in food still, Ive been syringing him canned science diet I/D and nutra-cal 2-3x day. I soaked his food in chicken broth (no onion seasoning!), he still has little/no interest. I finally started syringing chicken broth & water to him earlier. On his own, he might be eating a tablespoon of dry food a day :(

Per the advice of my vet, I gave him 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil mixed in with his syringed food, just in case he was constipated, but at the very least to help move things along. He really didnt like the olive oil at all and hid for a while. He came out from hiding and peed a little bit in his box. I was hoping he'd have a BM but no go. Arrgghh!

I lifted his tail to check, because Weds or Thurs he had a large BM which consisted of some diahrrea. He had dingleberries (lol) that I had to put on rubber gloves and cut them out (hes a long hair maine ****). When I lifted his tail tonight, everything appeared ok (no dingles, etc), but Im no expert in kitties butts...lol

What else can I do? I thought the olive oil would go right through but its been a few hours and no-go. :sad2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,144 Posts
When you feed by syringe, you are giving a high volume of liquid. And if I remember correctly, ID is a low residue food - most of it is actually absorbed. So there may not be must to pass.
But contacting the vet was the correct thing to do. If you don't have any results by Wednesday morning, I would call the vet again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you feed by syringe, you are giving a high volume of liquid. And if I remember correctly, ID is a low residue food - most of it is actually absorbed. So there may not be must to pass.
But contacting the vet was the correct thing to do. If you don't have any results by Wednesday morning, I would call the vet again.
Ahhhh...thanks I had no idea about the I/D food being 'low residue'. The only thing the vet told me was it was a high calorie food which also stimulated appetite.

I appreciate the advice. I will call the vet by wednesday if Meatball doesnt make a few mini snickers bars in his litter box by then :D

Another question: I cant get him to eat on his own. Hes a big cat (was 20.5lbs but is VERY large framed Maine ****). Its been 8-9 days since hes wanted to eat on his own, but being through this once before I started assisting him almost right away. What can I do to get him to eat on his own? Why is this taking so long this time, but the last time he had a panc. flareup it seems he was eating on his own as soon as the puking stopped. He hasnt vomited in at least 5-6 days now. What gives?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, crisis over I guess 8O

Today when I came home for lunch, he hadnt had any BM's. I placed him in the litter box and gave him a pep talk about how he had to go poo or back to the vet where they will make him poo. He looked at me (as usual) like I was crazy. :D

Came home, and sure enough he left a surprise in the box!! I never thought Id be excited to see poop but I sure was relieved (and Meatball too, Im sure!). Thanks for the support.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Yay! I'm happy your Meatball left you a present :)

I went through something similar with a hamster of mine (I am known by my friends and family as the crazy hamster lady, and now I'm becoming a crazy cat lady too!) Sandy responded well to the olive oil, I would give it to her on spinach because the greens would make her go too.

I know how scary having a sick pet can be, Sandy passed away last October, and Pica (another hamster) is declining from kidney failure and amyloidosis. I hope Meatball continues to get better!! It sounds like you take great care of him!
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top