Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was supposed to get my hair done on Saturday, but I couldn't get to the hairdresser due to floods
The salon is out in the Warwickshire coutnryside and there is only one way to get there. There had been persistent rain for about 24 hours and many of the roads were flooded. I drove through several mini 'lakes' with my heart in my mouth wondering if I'd get through. Eventually I met a man in a van coming the other way who said it got worse up ahead and I'd never get through in my small car.
So I had to just turn round and come home.
I don't know when I'll fit another hair appointment in as I'm so busy now before Xmas (and so is the haridresser!). My hair looks like a horrible blonde haystack and all the roots are showing badly now. :x

seashell

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
Think of it this way- you can start a whole new fashion trend with the roots showing. I am right there with you, so I can just say that I am keeping up with the people in the UK :wink: .

I am glad that you got through all of that water safely.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haridresser just rang to say she can fit me in tomorrow evening. Yay! She's had to re-arrange all her appointments as no-one could get to her on Sat.

That sounds scary! I'm glad you didn't try to get through it.
What made is worse was that I had just got a new car the day before so I wasn't that used to driving it. And I didn't want my lovely shiny new car to get ruined on its second outing 8)
(Well its not exactly new - its 5 years old, but it has been all polished and valeted and it looks like new!)

Hugh wrote

It's grim oop north....
Ha ha, when I first moved up here from London 15 years ago I thought I was moving up North! But actualy we are in the Midlands and no-one here thinks they are a Northener. They all talk funny, though :lol:

seashell

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Huge said:
It's grim oop north....

Glad you saw sense ;)
Birmingham is NOT north Hugh. :lol:

Its the midlands.

Its only at Yorkshire and above, you can start saying 'up north' ;)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Eee, bah, gum burrits cowd up ear int north, innit?

15F (-9C) with chill factor of 4F (-16) here at the moment in wonderful downtown Grove Oklahoma. :-(

I suggest all haircuts be postponed until things warm up.

Mick.

·
Registered
241 Posts
melysion said:
Huge said:
It's grim oop north....

Glad you saw sense ;)
Birmingham is NOT north Hugh. :lol:

Its the midlands.

Its only at Yorkshire and above, you can start saying 'up north' ;)
Aye, that's right! Only then are you a genuine Tyke, like wot I am...

Are you a native of Darlington, Allie, or does your mama just live there now?

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
This is the first time I've ever seen your roots, Allie! 8O :wink:

Speaking of direction, I'm always puzzled when people do not consider Devon south. If you go much farther south you'll fall off Land's End ! (in Cornwall, of course) ??

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
oklahomegrownveg said:
My translation to American:
Eee. Bah. *something* Brrrr it's cold up here in the north, isn't it? Is the *something/gum* actually like saying 'gads'?

I like reading your writing better. Especially out loud, it just sounds better. :)

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Crikey blueflames, I'm glad I didn't try that in my new car! 8O

Latest news is that the hairdresser has managed to re-schedule me for 6.00pm tomorrow. So as long as we don't get more rain or black ice I should be OK :eek:

seashell

·
Registered
243 Posts
Heidi n Q said:
oklahomegrownveg said:
My translation to American:
Eee. Bah. *something* Brrrr it's cold up here in the north, isn't it? Is the *something/gum* actually like saying 'gads'?

I like reading your writing better. Especially out loud, it just sounds better. :)
bah gum or by gum is what's known as a "minced oath" or a euphemism used to avoid swearing when expressing surprise. Us God fearing Tykes darn't say "By God" in the old days you see. It's similar to the cockney's Cor Blimey which is a minced oath for "God blind me"
Burrits = But it's.

So, if I were posh, like Hugh, I'd say "By God it's rather chilly, isn't it"?

(Sorry Hugh) :)

My wife, born and bred in Lancashire, always says it's "blue dog" in cold weather.
I have no idea why. :-(

Mick.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
akiralx said:
Are you a native of Darlington, Allie, or does your mama just live there now?
I wasn't born in Darlington, Alex, but have lived there for most of my life so most definitely consider it my home town ;)

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
oklahomegrownveg said:
So, if I were posh, like Hugh, I'd say "By God it's rather chilly, isn't it"?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA.....

I'm far more likely to say..... "^£$%er me it's bloody freezing"

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Good thing you didn't try to teach your car to swim, Seashell.

Way last century, I tried to teach my '71 MGB-GT how to swim, and it didn't turn out well at all. I ended up having to rebuild the engine and transmission, as well as having to change the differential oil. No fun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts