Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Please help me, because I am confused. I volunteer at a shelter, and it is not a no-kill, for several reasons.

1) Animals with chronic illness, disabilities, and other life-long problems. We give them as much of a chance as possible, fostering them, trying to promote the adoption of special needs pets, etc. But they are often euthanized because the chances of them being adopted are slim to none.

2) Animals that show any sign of aggression towards people. We understand that dogs may not like cats or other dogs, that's noted and they cannot be adopted to homes with cats or dogs, whatever the case. But dogs that are food aggressive or aggresive towards people are never adopted out. It is too much of a liability, and there are many other dogs that show no aggression at all that are better adoption candidates.

3) Long term residents. The shelter does not have a deadline nor is it in the habit of euthanizing animals after a certain period of time. Many dogs and cats stay for months before being adopted. But being in a shelter for an extended period of time does something to an animal's psyche, and some really start to suffer after a long time in the shelter, even exhibiting unbalanced behavior, like obessive-compulsive symptoms. We try to get them into foster care, but if that is not possibe, they are humanely put to death.

Is there something wrong with the way the shelter handles this? We do not treat the euthanizations lightly, the staffers are often wrecked after they have to do one, but what else can we do?

Another thing: no-kill shelters do have a fatal flaw. They only have so much room. What happens after they fill up? Many close their doors. Animals that might otherwise have been surrendered to the shelter, and cared for, are turned away. In this situation, an owner may do something rash. Like abandon the animal. I am not making this up, I've seen it happen.

I don't intend to be argumentative or defensive, but I hate to see shelters that are not no-kill painted in a bad light. With thousands of animals abandoned every year, it seems to make more sense to focus on, and spend time, money and energy on spay/neuter education, behavioral counseling and management, and training workshops, all things that help to prevent the dumping of unwanted animals, rather than being strongly no-kill. We will even ship dogs up from Tenesee and Ohio, areas that have a much higher overpopulation rate than New England, but we understand that there are not enough homes for all of them. It's horrible, but it's a fact.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow, I have never thought of it that way before.

1) Usually people go to a pet store instead of an animal shelter to buy their pet, not adopt. The animals with illness, disabilities, and other life-long problem, I would think, should be adopted first because if someone adopts them, then that could very well save their life.

2)The dogs that are agressive cannot help it, but people don't seem to understand that, so yes, they are never adopted.

3) I was thinking about how the animal shelters would get to full after a period of time and might have to put down an animal even if they are a no-kill shelter. Yes, think about if you were in a shelter, in a pen, with other of your kind for such a long time, it does things to you, same with cats and dogs. That could start a problem, which could lead to being put down, or no one wants to adopt the animal because of the problem(s).

I don't know if there is something wrong with the way the shelter handles this, it may be just people because they don't go adopt a pet from a shelter, even if it is aggressive with food or people, or has a disability. :cry:

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
There is a problem with that site, unfortunately. We have posted an alternate site, in hopes that it will be helpful. The original site was unique. I hope it returns soon.

If you notice a problem with a sticky, please notify catman or a mod. Thanks!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hmmm

This is supposed to be a link to no-kill shelters, but our local humane society is on there and they do euthanizations. Maybe the one for MN is all shelters regardless of kill or no-kill..I'm gonna try something and type in 'no-kill shelters in MN'..see what I get.........

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just playing

Well, just playing around on the internet you can find links to no-kill shelters in your state. It's awesome that there are no-kill shelters out there, but it is true. What happens to those animals when that no-kill shelter is full?

I don't like the idea of euthanizing either. I was going to volunteer at the local humane society and the lady that was giving the orientation was crying as she told us about the euthanizing that they do. You could tell it just broke her heart. But, if you stop adopting animals from a shelter just cause they aren't a no-kill shelter it's that many more that get put down.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well yes it is technically impossible to have a shelter thant never has to put down an animal, or always takes in the animals...

But what is good about non-kill shelters is that they don't put down the animals as soon as regular shelters will. :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Thank-you!!..if a bit belatedly..I have to find out if our closest shelter is no-kill; I thought it was a kill shelter (not on the list) but I saw recently some kitties that have been in the shelter over a year..they aren't cute (I think they are but objectively speaking they are just plain short hair black cats) All I can think of is b/c they have friendly personalities, they are hoping somebody will adopt them? My last year adoptée had been in the shelter 5 mos when I got her, I guess she wasn't adopted before because is an older (was 4 yrs when I got her) cat in relation to many kittens they had. All were adopted except for the two that now are 1 yr old.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Here's a note from Rosalie regarding Nebraska:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just received an e-mail from a no-kill shelter in Nebraska. I had asked why they weren't on the no-kill shelters by state list and they said they are in many but might have missed several so that if I told them the list name they'd send it directly.
I couldn't find it here but maybe I'm wrong? It's The Cathouse, Lincoln, Nebraska
http://www.thecathouse.org
The only shelter listed I see is one in Auburn, NE. The Cathouse is in another city. I'm trying to get it posted in all lists and forums so people can find it.
Anyways please confirm the link is here, if not it can be added..Thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
I know a few have posted Canadian sites or info about them, but I just got my kitten Anya from a no-kill shelter in the Kitchener-Waterloo area, and the lady who runs it solo was talking about possibly having to close down after this year because not enough word of mouth is getting around about her and what she does.

There is not actually a website for her organization (the Elmira Cat Rescue), but I did find a website with a list and description of a few shelters around the Kitchener-Waterloo and Hamilton area.

http://www.catrescue.ca/prov_ontmisc.html

I just feel terrible that the shelter may close... if it weren't for her, I would never have my amazing (but extremely shy) Anya. It's such a shame.

(...don't worry, i got her out from being in with all those cords right after i took the picture. :) )

·
Registered
33 Posts
What happens to the animals when a no kill shelter exceeds its capacity, sure its easy to maintain but it'll put a strain on a shelter's resources. It gets sent to other adoption agency or foster homes im sure. But im just wondering though. For those who live in the Kansas City area, Purrfect Pets (INC. ??) located on the upper level near the west entrance also near JC Penny at Metcalf South (95th and Metcalf, Overland Park, KS) has alots of cats but the longest cat that stayed there was 4 years, Im sure at least 10 to 15 cats have stayed in a nice comfy cage for 3 years and havent found a home. The people who does the work over there looks kinda desperate for the cats to have homes. I went there twice and stayed at least an hour each times looking at each cat and playing with them, THe people who comes in and looks around leaves uninterested, I'll tell ya, those people aint flexible on their choices, I would have taken the longest Purrfect pet resident, not just because she has stayed there for long, just to make her happy and have a roof to live in and be around caring people. People just cant choose kittens because they are cute little furry balls of energy, they gotta be flexible and take in cats other than kittens because the love and the care and having a roof is the same, no matter what, kitten or cat.

So, go over to Purrfect Pets and help them out!! Lots of cute varying cats.

BTW: im not a volunteer for them, im just helping them anyonomously by sending a message.

And that 4 year Purrfect pet resident is a large (15 to 25lbs im guessing) 3-4 year old female DSH/DMH black cat. I was kinda amazed by its sheer size because the largest cat i ever saw with my own eyes is my mom's black DSH black male cat (18 lbs). The female cat is very laid back and very friendly.

iM just ranting haha.

·
Registered
487 Posts
no kill--well, sometimes

I'm quite near Lollypop Farm. They are supposedly a no-kill shelter, but they do euthanize animals with serious health conditions, or those that do not maintain a pleasant disposition so that they are considered 'adoptable'. It's hard to make this out on their website, but it is nevertheless there.

I understand the problem with a terminally ill cat, but wouldn't a cat get depressed if it was in a shelter for years? At least one of the animals on their page was adopted with her sister, then returned a few months later.

·
Registered
181 Posts
:D Luckily, I know of a no-kill shelter only 45 minutes away from the town I live in! It's where I got my cat!

Edit: The information above is no longer valid...it turns out that shelter has started to euthanize their animals. :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree that no kill shelters have limited space and therefor they pass up animals that may not be adoptable.

I just don't understand why everyone thinks no kill shelters are any different or better than kill shelters. Kill shelters try their best to adopt out the animals, but it is a cruel life to live in a cage forever and ever and then in turn be turning away other adoptable animals. The sad fact is that there are way too many homeless animals out there and there aren't enough facilities to house them.

People should push everyone they know to spay or neuter their pets to prevent this and people should push there local pet store not to sell dogs or cats which lead to impulse pet purchases or animals with problems.

I think that a lot of people go about this topic of discussion backwards. You need to solve the pet overpopulation problem and uneducated owners in order to cut down on the number of pets that end up in shelters.

·
Registered
37 Posts
As a volunteer at a kill shelter, I can tell you that sometimes a "no kill" shelter only means that they do not euthanize the animals at their shelter. Nothing stops them from sending excess animals to a shelter who will. That's the sad reality, some are really no better than the kill shelters.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Yes, I have heard that before. :( However, the no-kill shelters usually keep them a bit longer. And in some cases, it's years. One of our members works at one of those, and she told us about "two elderly lady" kitties who had been there a very long time...sadly. She gave them extra love.

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
Re: List of no-kill shelters

Wisconsin

Chilton - Eastshore Humane Association - has a stated policy of being a no-kill shelter.

Oshkosh - Oshkosh Area Humane Society - while not having a stated no-kill policy, it's known among the local community's animal lovers as being a nearly zero-kill shelter

Green Bay - Bay Area Humane Society - while not having a stated no-kill policy, the current director has made known that they will not euthanize without severe cause (communicable or terminal illness or injury or danger to human safety)

*ETA - actually thinking about it now, it appears to be a matter of permissions. There's no posting buttons and that's what happens when a user doesn't have permission to post. Therefore it appears that regular members are unable to post in the Sticky Forum and no one will be able to add to that thread except for mods and admins.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.