Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about purring, or the lack thereof...
We have an approximately 8 month cat, when we first got him, about 5 months ago, he was a purring machine, you could hear him clear across the room. Then, out of nowhere, he stopped, no matter how much we play with him, or pet him, I don't hear anything (and I've certainly tried listening for it).
So I was wondering if this is normal or if it's happened to anyone else?
Will ever hear Mr Tibbs purr again?

·
Registered
120 Posts
We once had a cat that you couldn't hear purring. You could feel the vibration of him purring just couldn't hear it. That was so many years ago so I don't remember if we ever heard him purr. He was so sick as a kitten but turned out to be a wonderful black cat that lived to almost 18 years.

Can you feel him purr? I would ask your vet what they think. It does seem strange that he went from purring to none.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I cant hear my cats purr unless I put my ear on their body. I can feel them purr. Try like sunset97 advised and see if you can feel him purring.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Purring is a mechinism cats use to soothe and be soothed. So its possible that in the first few months of his life with you, he would purr in situations where he was nervous or uncertain. Now that he is settled in and comfortable with his new home and surroundings, he no longer needs that comforting. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
My cat, Muffs, purred when I first adopted her, at which time she was almost 12 weeks old...but, by the time she was about 6 months old she too stopped purring. Also, Muffs doesn't purr silently (i.e., there are no vibrations). She's now 2.5 years old, and I never hear (or feel) her purr. Still, she's happy and healthy, so it's not something I worry about.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone for your replies.
I have tried feeling for any vibrations and also putting my ear right to him...but nothing.
It's not something I'm really worried about, just something strange I had never come across.

Thanks again

·
Registered
18 Posts
My cat, Liame, when I adopted her 1 week ago, doesn't purr at all. now occasionally I can hear her make this noise: derrr pause derrr pause derrr pause derr....
lol I hope I'm on the right track

1 - 8 of 8 Posts