Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A man in Arkansas bought a female Bengal tiger cub at three months of age. He raised it as a pet in his home, and she had her own bedroom. India was leashed trained on a harness, and she got along with her owner very well. Recently, the man was diagnosed with lung cancer, and the tiger began to show aggressive behavior towards the man. Unsure of what to do with this 400 lb cat, he loaded her into the back of his pickup truck and drove 60 miles away into a heavily-wooded area and released her. He went home sans Tiger. Four days later, India showed up in his yard. She'd come home, and the path from where she'd been left and where she returned intersected a reasonably large Arkansas town. No one reported a loose tiger.

This is not a news article. Many of you know I interned at an Exotic Cat Refuge over the summer (link in sig). Well, I got an email from them saying they got a new cat. They didn't really want a new cat, as they're full, and I can only imagine where they're going to put her when her quarantine period is through. But the day after India returned, her owner loaded her back into his pickup truck and drove her straight to Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge.

Her story is not yet posted on their website, but if anyone wants to see pictures, PM me with your email address.

·
Registered
505 Posts
we have a large cat refuge here too, not far from my parents house called Cat Tales. they have all kinds of big cats that they keep there. it's a really cool place.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
What the [email protected]$$ was that man thinking? Who would release a tiger cub into some wood and expect a happy ending? :evil: Plus, how very sad for her. :( I'm glad she wound up with a good home, though.

When I see things like this, I can't believe it's not waaay more difficult to legally own a big cat.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She's actually a year and a half old, and 400 lbs now, but just the same... Thank you for your response. The two responses I got at another forum was that it was a "neat" story. Yeah, real neat. It was totally irresponsible of that man to leave his so-called pet in the wilderness. Not only was it a safety hazard for every human and pet in that vicinity, but that tiger was born in capitivity and doesn't know how to live in the wild any more than one of my lapcats. She could've starved, been hit by a car, or if reported been shot on sight.

That's just stupid. He didn't call around to find a new home for her, he didn't think of her welfare, he just dumped her. I'll never understand why people think they can have these cats as pets. He's lucky the refuge took her; they turn down literally hundreds of cats a year because they - like the rest of the sanctuaries across the country - don't have room. And now this cat, who's been spoiled all her life by having her own bedroom and even a backyard to play in, will spend the next several years of her life in a concrete cage, until the refuge has a new habitat built and she's gained the seniority to get in one :?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts