Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
i stumbled upon a major problem this evening, and i have been frantically trying to find a solution to it. Well, in june, my boyfriend is going to be graduating from college, and is going to be moving home. I am going to be moving into a new apartment w/o him, and they dont allow cats. Well, my boyfriend was going to take sasha home with him for a month until he moved out and found a job, and got an apartment., and it was all planned out. Then, tonight, we got the news, his parents dont want Sasha to stay at their house :shock: . so, i spent a long time trying to find a place for her, and then i had to break down and decide to take her to my parents house, but, the problem is my other cat Walter. He doesnt like when other cats come into his house, in fact, he HATES it, and im extremely worried. She will be extremely well taken care of there because my mother LOVES cats, but im still so worried. I know that a slow introduciton is the best method, but we dont really have time for that. I want Sasha to be able to be happy at my house for a month, but im so scared that Walter wont accpet her. Im going to take her to my house for a weekend as kind of like a test run and see what happens first, before i put her into a situation that she cant get out of. Im soooooooo sad, i feel like im abandoning her for a month :cry: :cry: :cry: , but, it is my only option. my roomate for next year is allergic to cats, and the building wont accept them, and the landlord lives right next door :cry: :cry: . does anyone have any suggestions for how to make Sasha's short stay at my parents house liveable? how can i get walter to accept her, or at least tolerate her? Walter has lived with another cat before, but unfortunately she had to be PTS at the age of 19. so please, any and all suggestions would be helpful, im so sad :cry:

·
Registered
917 Posts
is there anyway you could keep them on different floors of the house or something?

maybe you could have a talk with bf's parents, if it's just for a month, whats the big deal?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know faile, thats exactly what I said, whats the big deal. but, they wont budge. Sasha has been there before, and when she went, she was very destructive. She broke a very priceless lamp that was given to them by their parents, and chewed up most of their house plants :( . and i wish we could keep them on separate floors, but it is hard b/c walter sleeps upstairs with my mom, and chills downstairs during the day. so, i dont know what to do, hopefully they can get along :cry: /

·
Registered
611 Posts
I don't understand why a slow introduction won't work. Does the new place have no doors? Cats are not like dogs. Moving them around back and forth is very stressful. I think you must be thinking of the way dogs are sometimes introduced, by taking them somewhere for an hour. Cats are not like that. Moving them back and forth is very stressful. There are a lot of articles and resources that describe introduction techniques for cats. They don't involve transporting the cat back and forth.

Also, you say it's going to be a month but it seems like a random number to me. If your boyfriend is moving back with his parents until he finds a job, how can the one month thing be so certain?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts