Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 5 year old had a mysterious bout of diarrhea about 10 days ago which we attributed to him scavenging in the kitchen. Aside from the time he ate a holly berry he's never had loose stool. He had diarrhea for 4 days when it began to taper off and stop 6 days ago. We continued him on his regular diet of Weruva throughout. We also do up to 40% raw (mostly muscle meat and liver, he refuses to eat bone). Normally he poops every 2-3 days.

Since the diarrhea stopped 6 days ago he hasn't pooped at all! 4 days I can understand because he had diarrhea and because we've been feeding him more raw than usual lately but now I am concerned. He is his normal self, no pain in the tummy, running around like crazy at night.

The matter is complicated further by the fact that going to the vet is extremely dangerous for this cat - he has stress-induced cystitis and we risk loosing him if we take him in. The vet he usually goes to would also be very angry if he knew we feed him raw and would just tell us that this is the cause of the problem.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Call the vet in the morning and see what they recommend. Six days is too long.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Has he been eating normal amounts for the last six days? Is his appetite still good? If so, my assumption would be that he decided that the litterbox had something to do with his diarrhea and has decided to avoid its use. I suspect that there is kitty poop somewhere in your house. You just haven't found it yet.

Laurie

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies!

He's been using his litterbox to go pee. We only have 650 square feet and haven't noticed any poop anywhere. We have a dog who does nosework and I would think he'd have found it (but who knows what he might have done with it!). Who knows though, could be in a closet somewhere...

He has been eating his normal portions yes. I have no idea where it's going! I do know that his digestive tract must have been completely empty after the diarrhea and 3 days is normal for him.

I will call our dog's vet. They have some vets there who feed raw and they aren't going to chastise me.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I second Laurie's opinion. If he had constipation for 6 days, then he should show signs of illness. I think he must has done his job somewhere else without you noticed. Since you have a dog, could it be the dog ate the poop? You know, dogs LOVE that stuff... :/

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WE HAVE POOP! This morning. In his box. Lots of it but solid. Gave him some fresh pumpkin yesterday which he happily ate. Not sure if that's what did it but he's happy and so am I.

Thanks everyone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts